Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am working on a Turbo Air Model TSR-49Sd Commerical Refrigerator.

Customer Question
The unit is not cooling...
I am working on a Turbo Air Model TSR-49Sd Commerical Refrigerator. The unit is not cooling at all. I cleaned the condensor coils which were heavely clogged but that did not fix the problem. The compressor "seems" to be cycling on every few minutes for about 10 seconds and then quits. The condensor fan is running continuously. Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/28/2010
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Near the compressor should be a dryer with a little site glass is it there?

Tom, At this time I am not at the location of the refrig. in question. I will not be able to work on it until this evening.

Look for the sight glass and also the pressure switch it is a square box with a copper tube running to the compressor from it.

Once I find the sight glass and pressure switch then what... I am assuming the sight glass will reveal if the unit is low on freon. (i.e. bubbles) I have charged the A/C systems on cars before and it is easy to hook up a gauge set and can(s) of freon, but how to you hook up/charge a refrigerator. (I know that was probably a dumb question) I suspect you have to tap into the system. This unit uses R134A (like an auto does).

Also if there is enough freon (no bubbles) is the pressure switch at fault and can it be changed. Thanks!!

Yes the pressure switch can be changed but i think it is low on gas.Yes if there are bubbles in the sight glass then it has a leak.You should be able to whatch the site glass fill with refrigerant.

Tom,

One last question(s) (I hope)... If it is low on gas (has a leak) what is the most likely spots for the leak? Also, how do I go about refilling the system after the leak is repaired? I have a set of good quality gauges (bought for auto work). I also have a good quality electronic freon leak detector. Is charging and repairing the leak something a compotent novice can do? And, If the gas is NOT leaking is the only alternative the pressure switch? (I know there are a lot of little questions in this one big question) but Thanks!!

If it has a leak then no a novice should not be doing it.There is special equipment required.You also need a license to do refrigeration.

Edited by Tom johnston on 6/28/2010 at 9:11 PM EST