Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

what is an interior thermal shell I have a GE Monogram

what is an "interior thermal...
what is an "interior thermal shell"? I have a GE Monogram side by side 48" that is not chilling the food (50 degrees) yet the freezer is fine. After 6 visits from GE and $485 in various parts, GE is now saying it is the wall between the freezer and refrigerator that must have a blocked duct or insulation collapse not allowing the air flow to pass properly through a channel. I have an insurance policy that covers all sorts of stuff in the home, but it says it does not cover "interior thermal shells" --- would that wall be considered an interior thermal shell?
6/28/2010
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Your insurance policy is referring to your house structure - the interior shell of your house as opposed to the exterior of the house . Has nothing to do with anything on your refrigerator ( or any other appliance , for that matter)
Thank you for your prompt response - I am still unsure of something... under the Refrigerator section it said "NOT COVERED: interior thermal shell" along with ice makers, crushers, shelves, and racks.

You have used the term "interior shell" vs. their term "interior thermal shell". What fo you think?

thanks - ellen
Well it sounds like your policy IS covering some of the refrigerator - the compressor and fan but not any internal parts including the internal walls , icemaker, ice dispenser or shelves.
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Well sounds like I'm in big trouble and need a new refrigerator and it will be on my dime if they are saying this is the problem. Thanks for yoru help.
Certainly an odd problem - can't say as I've seen it happen
Should I not accept that as the answer??? Then maybe they can just document it as DEAD and replace it???? Unless you have a hunch of what the problem may be. It has been fully defrosted for a week and making ice, but it just won't go past 48-50 in the fresh food side. A replacement is very very expensive and I am moving in a year! YUCK
Well after 6 trips to your house they,ve probably exhausted all other possibilities. Seems odd they can't get this opening cleared with a tool or their hand, but i'm not there and don't know the circumstances.
Well thanks again for your help - he said he couldn't reach it but felt a "cold spot" between the two walls....
Everything comes apart in the freezer and the fresh food sections and the wall is only 2 inches thick so i don't understand that answer. Did they replace the damper assembly - part number WR60X10112 which is located in the top of the fresh food section? This damper is what allows air from the freezer to blow into the fresh food section and it fits right into the wall between the freezer and fresh food areas . Go to www.repairclinic.com and put in this part number and take a look at it.
They have replaced:

WR9X520 defrost controller and WR9X513 Damper FF - maybe other stuff not on receipt
The part number I come up with for the damper assembly is WR02X12861.
Well I will call GE and discuss - thanks for your help - I paid on Paypal again bc you have been so helpful. Am I doing that correctly or do I have to hit "Accept Answer"?

You've all ready accepted my answers previously. You'd have to hit bonus to pay more.

If you're freezer is maintaining zero or near zero temps the problem is indeed air flow to the fresh food section. Take the top assembly out in the fresh food section ( up high in the back and look for this damper assembly . With fridge running this damper should be completely open and you should feel air coming out of it . The freezer fan blows cold air through the freezer and also air into the fresh food section. If it is not open . manually open and hold it in a place ( maybe a popsicle stick, whatever ) and see if the fresh food temps get colder.

Hello Tom

Thanks for getting back to me. I was out all day and just went online.Yesterday I hit pay more money on my Paypal and it charged me more, but I am not sure it was a bonus - it appeared to be $14 again so I do hope it goes to you and if not please let me know how to rectify it bc you have been very helpful!

Anyway... on one of the visits, the GE guy left the damper open manually and said the fresh food may freeze (which it did). In the meantime, waiting for his next visit, I set the freezer to 3 bc I know the freezer is "the boss" so to speak (I have learned a lot during these many visits.) I figured it would slow down the blowing of hte freezing air into the fridge which it did. The fresh food did not freeze and it worked until he came back and put in the "WR9X513 Damper FF". He reset everything to 5 and 5 and left.... then the same problem - the ice was being made and the fridge never went past 48-50.

Now GE has made me a "discounted" offer on the same fridge with a slightly different model number bc mine is 10 years old, but says my custom panels may not fit.... I am moving in a year bc I can no longer afford to live here and so now I am thinking should I replace it with a another brand with a brushed stainless steel front and no water/ice dispenser..... I greatly appreciate your input, knowledge and diligence and am very impressed this has happened on the internet! This has been a poject since the end of May - it is so overwhelming to make the right decision.

Thank you again - Ellen
The fact that it did get cold ( too cold ) with the damper wide open is a GOOD thing . It tells me this fridge can be fixed . If there was an air blockage as he described this would not happen . Your problem is this air damper or what controls it. could be the sensor in the fresh food section or the electronic board . GE should make a return visit at no charge and fix it . You've paid for a bunch of visits and fridge is still not working Call GE Consumer Relations and explain all these visits 1-800-386-1215
Thank you so much - I will call them! It is so expensive to replace and I agree that somehow it can be fixed... it just doesn't make sense. I will follow up with you and let you know - this has been very good advice and your knowledge is amazing! If you lived in CT I would have YOU come fix it!
Yeah let me know how it turns out.
Ok - thanks sooooooooo much! I will be back in touch with you - the refrigerator guru!!!!
ok ---- new guy just left and said he is ordering a compressor and that there is no blockage in the wall between the fridge and freezer.... I will keep my fingers crossed bc GE is all ready to just sell me a new one!
A compressor ? did you not say the freezer was fine - maintaining around 0 degrees? Is this GE factory service . Sears, ( A & E ) or an independent service company?
Independent but says he has fixed tons of these - he said the damper assembly was fine and that if air was not flowing through that wall that the fridge would be 70 not 50. At least this guy is on my insurance plan and it is covered... I have to test the temp of the freezer actually bc he said it can be making ice, but be 31-32 and not zero. I did tell GE at one point that hte compressor was blazing hot, then when they put in other parts it was better. It runs all the time and has a certain humming that was never present in the past - I never heard much from the darn thing - it just sat quietly taking care of my food and doing its job! SO.... now we are on to the compressor and i will stick a thermometer in the freezer. The other side remains at 48-50.
Yeah it could be low capacity compressor. If you have ice cream in the freezer stick a dial type thermometer right in the ice cream - this will give you an accurate reading - should be 5 degrees or lower.
I don't bc I threw it out but he told me to test ice cream too... I will go get some now! BTW I have a $14 credit with this place and thought it was for you - somehow I will figure it out bc you have been so helpful. I know it won't pay your mortgage, but every little bit helps!
Thanks . This has been going on so long I'd like to see it resolved. We're certainly going down a different path here. Did the latest service tech check the compressor with gauges ? Did he use a pinch off tool and see if the compressor pulled a vacuum ( at least 15 inches mercury) This is the standard way to check a compressor for low capacity.
He did not do that.... I can ask him this when he comes back later this week - I did buy ice cream and left it in over night - it is still hard and my instant read thermometer said exactly zero degrees.....
If you had a bad compressor the freezer would not get to 0 degrees.Looks like your issue is still air flow to the fresh food side, and you said forcing the damper open made the fresh food section too cold. Can't believe these guys are making this so difficult.
I agree.....so what would your guess be? i just hope there is a solution bc i am moving in a year and cannot afford a new refriegerator of this type!
I THINK the damper was replaced , was it not . The damper is controlled by the sensors ( thermistors ) in the fresh food section which is monitored by the main board and the main board applies voltage to the damper motor to open or close. I think I would replace both fresh food sensors first . Part numbers are WR55X10025 and you can see a picture of them at www.repairclinic.com They are only about $12.00 each The main board is part number WR55X10819 you can also see this at www.repairclinic.com
This is what was replaced so far: WR9X520 defrost controller and WR9X513 Damper FF - maybe other stuff not on receipt

I plan to share ALL of your information with the new people that are now working on this. Thanks again for sticking with this.

ok let me know
Thank you Tom! They are coming Tues the 13th for a 3 hour job to put in a new compressor - I am going to sohw him all of your input so he can use it for his troubleshooting! I will definitely get back to you!
Well they (the new company) came yesterday and put in a new compressor... he said when he drained some line, oil had been dispersed into it indicting that the compressor had overheated at one point. They were here two hours, then used guages and said by this morning I should be all set.... I just got up and the fridge is still 48 degrees, freezer is zero. I am so upset bc maybe I am crazy trying to fix this but I just don't want to buy a new one - I feel like the problem is "hiding in plain sight"!!! So now we can add compressor to my list of parts! At least now it is all covered under my home insurance. I didn't show him all of our emails bc I didn't want to be a pest while he was training somone and it was HIS first shot at this, but today I will contact him with your thoughts you have shared along the way.

GEreplaced:
WR9X520 defrost controller and WR9X513 Damper FF - maybe other stuff not on receipt. You recommended: the damper assembly - part number WR60X10112 which is located in the top of the fresh food section. Is that something different and GE put in a wrong part? You also recommended: Part numbers are WR55X10025 and you can see a picture of them at www.repairclinic.com They are only about $12.00 each The main board is part number WR55X10819 you can also see this at www.repairclinic.com

Is this what I should ask of him? Thanks again - Ellen
I am not surprised thecompressor did not work. I wish you were using either Sears or GE factory tech servicers. Your problem is either the damper is not working in the top of the fresh food section or the sensors are defective or the main board. if you have someone who know what they're doing all of these parts can be checked at the main board- 10 minute job to check which part is defective.
I had started with GE! They were the first 6 visits! I gave the new guy your input and part numbers and they are taking your advice from your prior message of the main board, sensors and damper. Sears was going to take 3 weeks to come out and these guys came much quicker and were factory authorized. I guess it is good he got oil out of the lines and pretty soon the whole damn fridge will be new! So........ it's another week bc I am going away and they are coming on Thursday the 24th! Hmmm --- maybe by Christmas!
:-)
The guys from GE should have done better - they are well trained and only work on GE made appliances. Hopefully you are closer to getting this fixed ( from replacing parts eventually the process of elimination will get you there)
Yes - I am looking forward to cold food and not having to travel to the second refrigerator, although I am lucky to have a spare! I will be back in touch - Thank you again for your help.
yeah I'm curious now as to what it turns out to be - it is one of the three things I mentioned.
I wil be sure to let you know - thnk you again for being so thoroughand caring so much.
when we are finished I will sned a "Bonus"... I just went all over the site to figure out how to pay more bc you have been so helpful and quite frankly I have relied on all your advice!
OK - get back any time
I will write next week after the next part is put in!!!!!! Surprised
OK
Well the latest is that they came back to measure air flow, temps, etc and re-seated the damper bc the GE guy may not have screwed it in all the way... also moved the tip of a temp sensor that was touching metal and could have benn making a mis-read. Well I still have the same problem. So they asked me to call GE and get a replacement damper bc they think the one GE sent is defective. They are still saying it is fixable. The guy went on vacation this week and is coming back on Monday Aug. 2nd..... the damper assembly arrived Fed-X today. Is this the longest "fix" on record? If I hit "Accept Answer" do I lose contact with you? I keep hitting Reply and then want to pay more at the end of all this. I have told so many friends how helpful you have been. Thanks again - Ellen
Yeah you may qualify for the Guinness Book of Records . No just keep replying as you are now doing - it keeps going to "my Questions " on my end . They could make this so much easier if they would take some voltage measurements on the board for the sensors and the damper motor. If they are having a problem figuring out the schematic , they can call GE TECH LINE and get assistance over the phone right there while they are with the appliance. You will get it fixed this way they are doing it but just through the process of elimination.
OK - thanks -- I did pull up your messages to me while they were here... I said - not to insult you but in the essenceof time and putting everyone's ideas together, this is what my online guy is saying. They did not act insulted (good thing!) So..... to be cintinued - I will write again on Monday!
Yes - keep in touch

Had a conference call today ( GE tech support ) I brought up your fridge and the problem you're having. Cut to the chase:

Have your service tech remove the ice bucket from freezer and then behind the ice bucket pop out the louver with a putty knife.

Use an inspection mirror and a flashlight and look over towards the fresh food side through the opening there and you'll see the damper door - dark grey in color . At this time the door will be closed . It should be closed because this fridge has a safety built in to the electronics - if the door is left open too long ( which it has been now from doing the above ) , it closes all the dampers and turns on the fans - this is to protect the refrigerator liner from getting too hot from the lights inside being on.

OK - now hold the freezer door switch closed for about 1 minute and then have someone hold this door switch closed while the tech looks back in that same location and see if the damper flap opened. If it DID open , the damper is good, the motherboard is good and the sensors are good.

This means the return air from the fresh food to the evaporator in the freezer is frozen shut . This happens from a door not being totally closed like overnight.

Do not attempt to manually thaw this return duct . ( It is not easily accessible any way and heat can damage it beyond repair. The only solution is to kill power to fridge for a minimum of 48 hours with the doors open.

WOW - ok - well he is coming back on Monday the 2nd - I won't attempt this myself! I did have the power off a couple of times for 48 hours and one time for 10 days with the doors open when I went on vacation.

Also, I mentioned a computer board to him and he said it didn't have one - perhaps bc I said "computer" and not "motherboard".

Another friend of mine said there is a control board that has one tihng to the freezer and one to the fridge and if part of it is bad (the fridge part) then that is the problem. He said these guys are working too far out onhte problem and not at the root where all the brains of it start....

Thanks AGAIN... will keep you posted!

Yes , check from the mother board All the sensors go to the J1 connector . If your fridge temp is 50 degrees then checking at this J1 connector it should read 8,000 ohms resistance from pin 1 to pin 5 and 8,000 ohms from pin 2 to pin 5 .

If that reading is good then go to the J3 connector which has 4 wires that go to the damper ( this is the damper in the top of the fresh food section , not the dampers in the bottom quick chill compartment) Open both doors for a couple of minutes then close the doors, , then check for 6 volts DC from J3 connector pin 1 ( blue wire ) to J4 pin 3 this is the voltage that opens the damper and then on those same pins should have 2.3 volts DC which holds the door open . The damper motor can be checked also from the board again at the J3 connector - from pin 1 to pin 2 ( blue to white wire ) - 400 ohms resistance

and from pin 3 to pin 4 ( red to yellow wire ) 400 ohms resistance.

OMG - you are too much - can you just fly here???? Cool I will share this with them BEFORE they show up on Monday!
Well........ update..... he says it has no mother board. He replaced the new damper from GE that he thought was defective with another new damper and the refrigerator cooled right down -- so much that it went to 30 degrees now!!! He is coming back this Thursday and says that now it will be easy to fix!!!!
good to hear
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Well it is fixed - I have "moved back in" and it is hard to believe. Thank you for your persisitence in helping me! I could not have survived it woithout you!
Of all the problems I've encountered on this site I'd have to say yours was by far the most frustating and unbelievable. You finally got a servicer that a. cared and b. knew what he was doing. Thanks for using just answer.
Thank you Tom -- I left you a tip through Pay Pal - please let me know that you get it bc they did charge me. I did and Accept Answer, then the positive rating and added a tip. I just did it about a half hour ago.
Yes I just saw it - thank you very much - it was MORE than generous. Nice "talking " to you.
well you deserve it - I just hope Just Ask doesn't take too much commission out of it!

thanks again - it was ice to meet you too.
Yes - thanks again