Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Roper Side by Side and the freezer side keeps thawing…

Customer Question
I have a Roper Side...
I have a Roper Side by Side and the freezer side keeps thawing and then kind-of refreezing. I replaced the defrost thermostat yesterday and it won't continue to cool enough to freeze. It starts to and then everything melts again.

Right now it seems to be freezing everything - but I can tell that there was a thaw because at the bottom, the ice from the icemaker melted and puddled up at the bottom. It is now refrozen. It does seem to be working better - but I'm not sure that it is fixed. Do I need to wait a period of time for everything to reset and get cold again? If yes, how long should I wait? Is there also a timer in addition to the defrost thermostat that I should replace and if yes, how do I do that - could someone provide instructions.

Lastly - if this is way beyond someone who doesn't know how these things work should I just bag it and call for a repairman to come out?

Okay - thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/27/2010
Appliance Technician: Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

You need to look at the coils and be sure they are frosting. Let the unit run for 15 mins or so, take the back wall down and check the coils. They should ALL be frosty not the 1st foot or so. You might have a freon issue.

Did you replace the defrost timer due to the frost on the back wall, or were you just guessing? Thanks!

Brandon

I did not replace the timer only the defrost thermostat based on an answer I got yesterday from this web site. I did notice that all of the coils were frosty and then the frost melted as the ice, etc. I can hear it cooling - then it shuts off and everything gets melted. Right now it's cooling again.

If you think I should replace the timer can you tell me where that is and what it looks like - how to get to it, etc.? Or should I call a repairman? Or should I wait until it gets cold again and do something??

Well we can help you figure it out, can you be more descriptive as to the series of events. I don't have access to your other question. Was your unit frosted up and they walked you through finding a bad thermostat, now you replaced it and it defrosts but won't recover? That is how I am understanding it now.

If that's the case, check for front and back fans. Are both turning. 1 inside freezer and 1 behind unit. Also behind the unit, is the compressor scalding hot? When the unit cuts off, is there still power from to the compressor and it stops running? Thanks!

Brandon

So - I'll try to be descriptive in terms of the symptoms. I don't know anything about appliances - so here goes:

The ice would melt all over the food and then it would all refreeze again. That was pretty much the symptom I described yesterday. The advice was to replace the defrost thermostat because, as I understood it, the heater would come on to defrost the freezer, but the thermostat was not properly shutting it off. It would eventually shut off when it finished its cycle - after everything thawed - an then the freezer would get cold again.

No one walked me through how to find a bad thermostat - other than advising me to replace it. I don't know how to tell if it is good or bad - I just went to a store, bought a new one and put that one inside.

As to your other questions - here goes:

I can't see the fans - but inside the freezer, I can hear what sounds like a fan going. There are some vents at the top just below the light and when I put my hand there - I can feel cold air coming out - so I am assuming that fan is running.

When I check the back outside, there are some vents down at the bottom and when I place my hand there, I can feel air coming out - so I assume that fan is running.

I don't know where the compressor is - I am assuming I need to take the back top and bottom panel off for that. But I need to unplug the unit again and since this affects both my refrigerator and freezer, hence my food could get spoiled by constantly unplugging it - is there a way to check or feel for the compressor without doing that?

Your last question - when the unit cuts off is there still power from/to the compressor -- I don't know how to check for that - can help me understand what to check for regarding the compressor?

To access the compressor you just need to remove the bottom panel on the back. The compressor is the big black egg shaped piece. Just feel it and when it cuts off feel it to see if it is to hot to touch. That rules out a bad problem