Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag clothes washer Model# MAV5000AWW. It has ceased…

I have a Maytag clothes...
I have a Maytag clothes washer Model# XXXXX It has ceased spinning. When I moved the unit away from the wall, I note a quantity of black rubber residue. I tipped the unit up and see that that drive belt is intact but the pullys have a quantity of said black residue around them.

The motor that's mounted in the bottomm right corner of the unit (if you tip it toward its face) seems to not be firmly attached, i.e., it seems like there is quite a bit of play in the mounting system, thus allowing the motor to slide back and forth.
1.) should the motor be swinging in the mounts?
2.) If not, how do I know where to tighten it down?
6/27/2010
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question.

The motor is suppose to be able to move back and fourth , if the pulleys looked like that replace the belt and clean those pulleys with a wire brush that should fix the problem.

So then because of the slack in the motor mounts, I shouldn't have anything to do other than slip the belt on after I do the cleaning??
Yes thats right.

Dear appliance doctor:

I took your advice, got a new belt cleaned up the pulleys, installed belt, ran a load of stuff through the wash. Machine sounds like it wants to spin... the pump is expelling water, but the tub doesn't rotate... instead there is a significant clicking sound like some switch/relay is trying to engage whilst the water is being expelled. :>( BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that the clothes are still sopping wet in the tub due to no spinning.

What's my next move?? Is there some diagnostic I can perform or does this sound like something you recognize (probably, huh?)

Well the clicking is it from the motor, in order to pump out the motor has to be going .

does the tub turn at all.

Tub does not turn at all or at least not during the supposed spin cycle. the pump pumps, but the tub doesn't turn. :>(
Take the belt off the transmission pulley and turn it clockwise if you cant turn the tub the tub bearings are seized up and thats a big job.

How freely should it be turning? When I was putting the belt on I'm sure I turned the "wheel" pulley that is connected to the bottom of the tub. It wasn't just twirling around though... it was definitely stiff.

It turns both ways one for the agitation and the other for the spin see what happens when you turn the pulley.

Stand by. Do I need to disconnect the hoses, etc. or just unplug from the 110v, pull it out from the wall, and tip it back?

You wont have to disconnect the hoses as long as their long enough.
Okay. Tub had some water in it. I set it on spin, pump started throwing water into the sink real strong like you'd expect. I pulled the washer out and tilted it back, set the edge on a cooler, got down and took a look at the center pulley. I was spinning away. Tub was not turning.

Remove # XXXXX up see if # XXXXX is worn and look at # XXXXX when you turn the pulley for the spin that pulley should go up the spline to disengage the break so check those parts.

Well, there < is > no #11. I removed #8, #6 (two washers), and the white nylon piece #4. It did not appear to be worn to me. the part that #4 meshes with... I don't see it on this diagram, but I see it on my washer...

Can I take a photo and send it to you?

Sure that would help .
John, Home Appliance Technician

Dear appliance doctor:

I beg your pardon for not clicking the < accept answer > button before this. We were in the middle of getting my eldest son married off and coupled with a washing machine that went TU in the middle of it all... well... I hope you understand.

thats awesome.

Thanks and God Bless.