Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have to replace the interior light for the GE advantium microwave…

Customer Question
I have to replace the...
I have to replace the interior light for the GE advantium microwave oven, I know that it is hard to get to. I need step by step instructions and any safety warnings. The model number is SCA 1001 KSS 01 and the manufacture date is Aug 2005. I have a source for the bulb.

There is no visible access to the bulb inside the microwave. I provided added information not shown here after an unsatisfactory response from the first person. I can't access the power cord and it is mounted under a cabinet. If disassembly is required, I need to see illustrations of how to do it. Looking at other online information it seems I may have to remove some of the housing to get to it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/27/2010
Appliance Technician: Phil, Shop owner replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Shop owner

Hello, first we chat a bit, then I give you some partial answers, please do not click accept until you get a final and complete answer you like.

Hello, unplug the microwave, get a flash light, find the light inside the oven.. look for the bulb. tell me if you can reach it, or if it is behind glass. Look for any screws in the area. get back to me. we go from there.

Edited by Handyman solutions on 6/27/2010 at 4:54 PM EST
That is not adequate. The light has been off for so long, I do not know any way to access it from inside the microwave. I 've been told that it can't be accessed form inside the microwave. That is why I need illustrated instructions. I read online that some part of the front panel needs to be removed to get to it. the power cord is not accessible since it is mounted on the underside of a cabinet over the cooking surface.
Is anyone able to do this. I am being ignored by the first responder.
Appliance Technician: Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

Can't post pics, ge's site is pdf only, and marcone's lookup is down. Basic jist is though, the unit has to come off the wall. Take the outer case off, pull the 1st layer of black plastic along with fan up and the light is under a cover held down by 2 screws. It takes me an average of around 30-45 mins. I would recommend hiring someone although it is just a bulb so if you wanna try it go for it.

The only safety advice is unplug it and stay away from the HV capacitor, near the mag tube. Silver cylindrical piece with a wire going to the mag tube and a bok wire hooked to the chassis of the machine. It can kill you if malfunctioning even dead.

Again if your not comfortable hire someone, on a scale of 1-10 I would place it a 5-7. Not for an amateur but not something you can't do. Thanks!

Brandon

please click accept and leave feedback if I have helped you.

Repairman1981
Thanks. It sounds like a design flaw to not have a bulb accessible. I am not going to do it. I'll just live with the dark interior.
I get that complaint a lot. More of an oversight, but ge doesn't want consumers working on the advantium anyway.