Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a microwave that counts down, but the light or the unit…

Customer Question
I have a microwave that...
I have a microwave that counts down, but the light or the unit does not turn on....
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/27/2010
Appliance Technician: Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

Emerson doesn't have an online lookup, but the problem your describing is either a relay on the control board or a bad door switch.

DO NOT OPEN THE MICROWAVE UNLESS YOU FEEL VERY COMFORTABLE WITH ELECTRICITY. THE HV CAP CAN KILL YOU WITH THE UNIT UNPLUGGED. IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE PROCEED.

Take the cover off, remove each door switch, should be 3 possibly 4. Test them with your ohm meter. Labeled on the side of the switch will be NO or NC contacts. Cycle the switch and make sure continuity changes with the button. If all test good the board is bad, if you find a bad switch replace it and your good to go. Thanks!

Brandon

please click accept and leave feedback, you can still ask follow ups if you need to.

I am very comfortable with electricity, for an example I would have no problem changing a 240 breaker in a live box, however this HV Cap make me think twice, can you tell me what i will look like, will it be labled how do I safely handle it?

Do you think the door switch would allow the clock to run? The light does not turn on when you open the door, however it does not turn on when the timer is started either.

Most likely just a door switch. Test them all, could have 2 bad. Might find a piece of plastic not fully contacting it, but a switch is most likely not being pressed.

As for the cap, it's just like a start cap on a motor if your familiar with electricity it will look familiar. It's charged with around 2100VDC, and if the unit is working fine the diode discharges it so 99% of the time your fine once unplugged, that 1% of the time is the problem. Either stay away from it (usually near the mag tube back right side of microwave), shouldn't be close to the door switches. Or discharge it. Take 2 insulated screw drivers and touch both contacts on the cap, then cross them. If everything works fine then nothing happens and your safe, if you get a lightning bolt between them you have a bad diode and will have mag tube problems in the future.

Nothing major, if you can change a 240v breaker and not die your gonna be fine in a microwave. I work on them live all the time, all about knowing where you can and can't touch and not ever being wrong. The 2100vdc the microwave uses will stop your heart quick. Not something to play with. Thanks!

Brandon

I need a special torq bit, I will get one tomorrow and follow up with you, I will accept once my project is complete. Thank you for your help.

You can use a flat head and knock the center pin out and use a regular torx bit. I sometimes forget everyone doesn't have a security bit set. If you do work like this a lot lowes has a whole kit for 19.99 or you can get one on ebay for around 14.99. Don't know how much you use one, buying the one security torx might be best. If it were mine I'd save the money and beat the pin out of the center. Thanks!

Brandon