Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool duet washer front loader the door will not…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool duet...
I have a whirlpool duet washer front loader the door will not unlock dispite my unplugging over night and pressing the cancel button over and over
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/27/2010
Appliance Technician: Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

Look inside and see if there is standing water. If you can see any water the door will never unlock on it's own. You can try a spin only cycle to see if you can get it to drain, but most likely the drain pump is clogged or bad, or it would have unlocked normally.

2 Answers here, to open the door only, removed the kickplate and kill the power. Reach up on the latch side and feel the back of the latch. There is a small plastic release about 1" long on the back, pull that and the door opens. Can't send a diagram or anything you just have to work on feeling. That takes care of the door issue.

Now for the water problem once the kick panel is removed there will be the drain pump smack dead center. You unscrew the cleanout on it, WATER WILL GO EVERYWHERE. Have a bucket under it , or towels or whatever your cleanup plan is. Remove the cleanout once it's done draining and then remove whatever clogged the pump. If all is clean and you find nothing in the pump, you need to run the spin only cycle with the cover off and see if the pump turns. If it does not the pump is bad, if it does but not fast the pump is bad, if it sounds normal, replace the cleanout and add some water. Try to drain now, if it still won't you either have a clog in the exit hose, or you have a bad pump. If you notice the trend, pump clean, bad pump, pump dirty, clean it and your good.

Brandon

please click accept and leave feedback, you can still ask follow ups if needed. Thanks!

Repairman1981

Sorry I negleted to say that the machine also stays on a blinking 12 minutes and wont let me change any cycles. justs blinks and changes time but wont progress and of course wont unlock. Just has a humming noise.

That humming noise is the drain pump, and the machine is trying to run it. You should be able to clean it out and be good to go. Remember there will be a lot of water and electricity, so kill the power and have a bucket (on a pedestal works great) or towels (only option not on a pedestal, maybe a small pan and keep filling and dumping the pan). The 12 mins is starting the spin cycle, and it's not gonna progress till drained, the hum means the pump can't turn, so clean it out and your good to go.

Brandon