Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am so confused about fridges. Seems that regardless of dozens…

Customer Question
I am so confused about...
I am so confused about fridges. Seems that regardless of dozens of brands, there are only a handful of manufacturers.
Who makes which brands?
And which manufacturers make the most reliable fridges...and honor warranties, have parts available, etc.?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/27/2010
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
You are wise to ask the questions that you ask. Most do not consider service. I personally think that Whirlpool is the most reliable and Whirlpool also spends time and money to get training out to the servicers. The parts for Whirlpool refrigerators are available and carried by most all service companies. Not to say that Whirlpool is perfect but they work at being the best.
GE is a very close second (very close) and in some of the major parts issues such as the compressor is more reliable. In my 22 years of service I have seen GE go from the worst compressor to the best. Since this is the heart of the fridge I would say this puts GE an extremely close second.
The worst are LG, Samsung and Bosch. Not because they make low quality products but because the information and parts for these brands are not readily available. If you were to ask me a question about any of the 3 I would not be able to reply to you with a drawing for example and say to you see part number 305 in the drawing, that is the part you need and this is how you get to it. I do not know why these manufacturers do that but they do and it is not only bad for the servicer, it is bad for the customer.

I hope that awnsered your question,
Take care and have a nice weekend.

Edited by Teamcold on 6/27/2010 at 9:56 AM EST

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX important feedback you gave.

But I understand that Whirlpool makes SEVERAL brands, as well as GE. Can you tell me what those brands are so that I can shop for those brands only?

If you want service you stick with Whirlpool and GE. Anything else is not a company that provides service or parts. I drove a service truck for years. Thats it. If we have a pump or a heater or any part on our truck it is Whirlpool or GE,,,some Maytag..getting service is important. I have explained it well and that is the way it is. You call your local service company and they will tell you the same things I have.

Yes GE and Whirlpool do make Kenmore for sears. The same parts will fit.

Edited by Teamcold on 6/27/2010 at 10:00 PM EST

OK, I understand about the parts and service.

But the first part of my original question was "Who makes which brands?"

I learned today at Sears that KitchenAid is made by Whirlpool. They also make Amana, Jenn-Air, and Maytag, as well as their Whirlpool brand. And they make some of the Kenmore models.

Sears also told me that Electrolux is made by Frigedaire.

Another sales rep told me that Viking and Wolf were made by GE, I think.

So if I buy, for example, a Kitchenaid that's made by Whirlpool, will parts, service, and reliability be a problem or will they be good?

Yes kitchenaid is a good brand,,,,,,,,,yes all the parts on our truck that are for whirlpool will fit kitchenaid. Like I mentioned above Whirlpool is the best when it comes to refrigerators. They really are. I get fewer calls for whirlpool than any other brand. The weakest part of a whirlpool refrigerator is the ice maker. And thats not bad.

You will not be disappointed.

Yes Electrolux bought frigidaire a few years ago, also a good company,,,,stay away from Viking and Wolf.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Thank you,

I am all for a kitchenaid........Whirlpool makes it and Sears sells it......Not just that the drawings and parts are available,,they are. I am 100% in for that decision. I will promise you that you will not be sad. Well built.

Barry

Edited by Teamcold on 6/28/2010 at 3:49 AM EST