Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

my kitchen aid dishwater does not seem to be pumping water…

my kitchen aid dishwater does...
my kitchen aid dishwater does not seem to be pumping water to the top (maybe not much at all). I have the racks out and the arms off. I see the 4 star head screws.
We have hard water and I was hoping for a clog somewhere. Do I dare try to take out these screws?
6/26/2010
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question.

Did you try it after you clean it out.

Please send me the model number.

yes, i tried it. no better. Looking.....Looking....
Ok, Model #kudko3ctsso; ser# XXXXX; type 577-0

The number 5 is the flapper valve and 8 is the water is the water pump food can get stuck at that flapper causing the water to not completely drain out,you can check that the best way is to pull the unit out to check the pump.

does the water have to drain completely in order to get water up the arm to the top shelf?
No the impeller number # XXXXX if its worn it wont push the water up through to the top arm.
Now, happily, my husband has joined us and he is looking at it while I type. Neither of us know anything about how a dishwasher works. Well, so far we found a candy wrapper on the bottom and 2 screws just loose inside there. lots of gunk!
If you found all that in there I would now give it another try that candy wrapper and the gunk can cause that problem.
The loose screws worry me a little. I hope they are just extras and arnen't supposed to be anchored somewhere! We will put it back together and try it. If it still doesn't work can I get you again?
Yes you can just log back on here I don't think the screws belong to the unit.
My husband is running the dishwasher without putting it all together! Will this hurt it?
No that wont hurt a thing but the water wont reach the top rack if its not all together,I'm sure it will work now with the stuff you removed .
Thank you so so so so much! we will run it a few times before we put it all together!

http://www.summitbrands.com/brands/Dishwashermagic.aspx

Your welcome .

You can also use this product its very good for cleaning out the unit.

Well, the dishwasher runs a little better but not that great. some water makes it up to the middle sprayer now but not a drop goes to the top sprayer. what keeps the water from all going out the middle sprayer since the fitting is so loose? The rack slides in and the male and female parts just slide together. Gravity? Could it be my dishwasher is not level and most of the water runs to the back? Just a thought. I think I'll try again tomorrow. Also, my soap dish never opens. I can't figure that latch out at all. I'm a little frustrated since I really thought it would work!
With that model and make it has to be the wash impeller thats worn out and that comes with the motor and its expensive.
Great! The dishwasher just made it a year! I thought Kitchen aid was supposed to be a good make. Is it worth replacing a motor?
Frigidaire in dishwashers are the worst on the market, if its just over the year give them a call see if theres an extended warranty on the thing.
Is kitchen aid made by frigidaire? What is the best make?
The older Kitchen aid were the best on the market 20 yrs ago but not anymore , they just changed the whole unit to the Frigidaire, and those really suck.
So, you think it needs to be replaced and is not worth fixing, right? No other ideas? Maybe next time I'll buy a bosch!
The bosh the parts are hard to find and info on them as well.Its really not worth replacing the motor in your unit.
What brand do you recommend for durability and performance?
The best buy is the cheapest G E you can find its a good d/w and its simple to repair.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Ok, Thanks so much!

Your very welcome.

Thanks and God Bless.