Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

my refrigerator side of my side by side is not getting cold.

the freezer side works and...
my refrigerator side of my side by side is not getting cold. the freezer side works and is cold
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help you.

Look for a heavy frost build up on the lower inside panel of your freezer. Is the fan in the freezer running? Let me know. Cool

the freezer does not have any frost build up. the freezer is working fine, i moved the bacon and hot dog to the freezer and it is frozen now. The refrigerator side however does not seems to be blowing from the vent part on top and by the vegetables at bottom

Ok. If you look a little more than half way down inside your fresh food section, you should see a little louvered grille on the left side of the liner. You can pry that away from the wall carefully with a flat blade screw driver. Do you see this? Let me know if you have frost accumulation inside this.

removed it, no frost

Ok, so far so good. You did say your freezer is working ok, but I asked you if the fan in your freezer was working and you never answered that particular question. If it is running. I want you to place your hand at the vent in the fresh food section at the upper left hand corner. With the freezer door closed, let me know if you have air flowing out. It won't be super strong, but it should feel like a cold breath of air flowing in.

yes that is exactly how it is, and i think the freezer fan is blowing,i hear it, the meats are frozen,
the ice trays are freezing the water into ice, but the ice cream quarts seems to be the only thing that has gotten soft.

Ok. Everything with the air flow system seems normal. Pardon all the questions, but there are a lot of things which can cause your issue and I'm trying to narrow it down online. Thanks for your patience. Can you pull the refrigerator out and let me know if the condenser fan motor in the rear access is running. Also, if it is, can you verify the compressor itself is running? One more thing, place your hand on the center strip between the freezer and fresh food door and tell me if it's cold, warm, or very hot.

i already pulled freezer out, the fan is running, the compressor is on and extremely hot.
the center strip seems to be on the warm side
If the compressor is extremely hot, that is abnormal. Are your condenser coils clean? The ice cream on the soft side concerns me that your freezer may not actually be ok. That is where the cold is supplied to the fresh food section from. The fan in the freezer supplies air to the fresh food section via the fan inside. The air return duct I asked you to check earlier is clear, so I know there isn't an air flow issue. I do however believe you may be losing cooling in your freezer. If you can try this, stop the condenser fan blade with the flat side of your palm. Place your hand on the compressor to 100% verify it is actually running. Also, what color is the electrical package on the compressor? What is the serial number on your refrigerator please?
sn # XXXXX
i stopped blade but the compressor is too hot to even touch, but i used a towel and it is on.
color of wires are white, black and red
i dont know what elec. package is

Ok... if the compressor is running you don't need worry about the electrical package if you verified the compressor is on.

Have you cleaned your condenser coils? Are they clean?

i vacuumed out the best i could
i will try to brush it out as well....
Ok. With the information you've provided me. You don't have a defrost or air flow problem. Your compressor is running but is so hot you cannot touch it and the condenser fan motor is running. Do you feel the condenser fan motor is running at full speed? I'd like you to get a secondary fan, leave the rear panel off your refrigerator and aim the second fan directly on your compressor overnight. Then I want you to get back on here tomorrow and let me know if your results have improved. Were your coils dirty prior to us talking, and did you clean them just today?
were a bit dirty, tried best i could to vacuum out earlier today, had unplugged it to cool compressor down for about an hour. will try second fan....how do i get in touch with you tomorrow and do i vpress the green accept button....i am thankfull for your time and would like to let u know how it turned out

If they were excessively dirty, this would cause the internal pressures and temperatures to increase greatly. The second fan should help cool the compressor down to normal operating temperatures since you cleaned your coils. If you choose the accept button, all you need to do is log back on and I will be able to help you still. Let's start with this and if you need me further, no problem.

Please leave positive feedback if you're happy with our discussion. Bonuses are greatly appreciated as well.

will do
thank you....
until tomorrow
Sounds good my friend.
What's the verdict?
compressor and fan both off
for how long?
30 mins now, was pushing back it back into place, both sides were cool and air was flowing, the temp finally statred coming down on saturday and came down to 40 this morning. then i heard fan stop and then noticed compressor off

40 in your fresh food section I hope? Give it another 30 minutes and get back to me. It might be in defrost. The fan in your freezer isn't working right?

lol.....its back on again...thank you....
Phew.. You scared me. Take a thermometer and stick inside your freezer. Make sure that stays around 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
hi justin, still having problems with fridge part of side by side
temp at 55
some days it is cool ......but always goes out of temp for too long

Ok. Any frost build up on evaporator panel? Is the compressor running when it does this? You might have a thermostat issue.
did not see last posting until today....how can i check thermostat?
the freezer is fine, cold air flow not coming out of vents top and bottom
Ok, but the fan is running in the freezer right?
yes....ur there.....
yes fan is running
I'm suspecting your thermostat is bad. This sits behind the panel with the knobs on it. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN I replace a few of these a year. You pull the knobs out, then pull the face cover off. You'll see two screws on the back side of the control unit and two under the face cover you pulled off. Then this drops down to give you access to the thermostat. Order the part first so you don't have to repeat the disassembly. These can and do act up intermittently.