Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an upright Kenmore Freezer that has been turner off…

Customer Question
I have an upright Kenmore...
I have an upright Kenmore Freezer that has been turner off and not used for 2 years. I turned it on last week, it started to freeze as normal and about 24 hours later just stopped working. Front lights were illuminated but it got warm. Alarm switch was not on but when turned on went off immediately.

What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/25/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
if you open the door, do you hear a fan running inside at all? If you pull the unit forward and touch the compressor (big black round metal device at bottom) is it running? Is it hot? cold?
The fan is now running in the freezer and it's cooling down. The compressor is running. But, the side of the freezer from 1/3 up from the bottom, on both sides is very hot to touch, not warm, burning hot. I am wondering if this is what is causing the freezer to turn off the cooling element after it's been running for awhile?
the sides are going to be hot if the comrpessor is overworking. This unit didn't incorporate a fan to blow on the compressor to cool it down, so the condenser (in the side walls) gets really hot. I don't know if this is out in your garage, but if it is and it's hot in your garage, that is why your unit isn't working anymore, you need to cool the unit down or put it in a cooler area.
The unit has always been placed in the garage but there is air circulating in there. Have never had a problem with it. We moved 2 yrs ago and again it's in the garage, but hasn't been turned on as of yet. Now that we've come to need it again and have turned it on, this problem has happened. We tried it during the winter months and it did the same thing! I don't think it's a matter of being in the garage. The unit is immaculate..........no dirt or dust behind it. Would it help to keep the unit out from the wall and perhaps have a small fan blowing on it to keep the air circulating?

Also, there is an alarm switch at the bottom of the unit in the front, when it is placed in the "on" position the alarm continues to ring................is there a reset switch for this?
there is not a reset, it's buzzing because it's too warm and that is because it's too warm in your garage. There isn't much you can do but get it cooler in your garage or move it to your basement or something. I know it's worked for 2 years but it's catching up to the unit and it's strugging to cool.
Even though in the winter the temp in the garage is in the 30-40s, it would still trigger it off like this?
yes definitely, the winter has no effect on the unit, just the summer.
But, it's cold in the garage in the winter, so why would it trigger off then? You would think that the cooler temp at that time would not trigger it to go off.

I understand it going off with what you've shared about the warmer temps now, but the unit did this in the winter with much colder temps. I just want to see if I need to have someone come out and fix an element that may be off in the unit, or buy a new freezer if the cost of that would be more.
it wouldn't trigger it off in the winter unless the compressor is damaged from it overheating in the winter in which case you need to replace the compressor.
It seems like we've come full circle. I just checked the unit. It has cooled quickly and is probably close to normal freezer temp. When switched on the alarm button still sounds alarm, but unit seems to be cooling as it should. What is making it kick off after 24-36 hours?
it needs to get below 5 degrees, not just 32 for freezing before the buzzer goes off. If it is below 5 degrees and it keeps buzzing, then you need to replace the buzzer.
The unit is down to 10 degrees and continues to drop. What is making it kick off after 24-36 hours?

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Still have not solved my problem nor have I gotten an answer on how to proceed to recifiy the situation
the compressor is overheating, that is why it's kicking off. You either have a bad compressor or it's just too hot. I can't say it enough times, those are the only possibilities and there is nothing more to comment on.
Why are the sides on the whole uppar part of the freezer so hot to the touch
I already explained and I'm not sure how many times I can repeat myself. That is the COMPRESSOR getting too hot. There is a condenser coil that runs in the wall of the freezer and it gets hot if the compressor gets hot.