Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE Model GSS22KGPA side by side with water/crushed…

Customer Question
I have a GE Model...
I have a GE Model GSS22KGPA side by side with water/crushed ice/ ice cube dispenser in the freezer door. The three switches on the front press panel light green when I select one of the three choices but nothing happens. The ice maker does make ice fine, I emptied the ice cube container last night and it refilled. I also noted that even though the freezer compartment is very cold (below zero) the refrigerator does not seem to shut down. The unit runs (hums and fan in freezer is blowing)continuously. The back area by compressor is clean and not filled with dust around the coils and fan area. Any suggestions on what to check?

Jim K
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

.

how cold is the refrigerator side?

I don't have a thermometer in the fridge side but it seems as cold as normal.

In case I don't respond to any follow up questions this evening I am scheduled to leave here in about 15 minutes or so. Will pick back up tomorrow.

ok I'm just wondering why its running so long. as far as the dispenser goes, you don't get water either?
An update before I leave. Apparently the micro switch or something was stuck on the cup cradle that is pressed in to get the ice/water. After working that free it now seems to dispense water and ice OK. But I still have the problem of continuously running compressor. In March the freezer area started to warm up and the refridgerator also ran continuosly at that time. I replace that glass heater tube and it started to work fine. I have not seen sympthoms like that this time.
ok check the back panel in the freezer and see if theres any frost, they had to change the design of the heater it may have failed again,

I don't see any visible build up of frost on that back panel. This morning, for the first time in days, that I have noticed, the refridge stopped running. When I opened up the freezer area I could hear sounds of water drips and occasionally a hiss as if a drop fell on that cover plate over the heater glass rod. So I think the heater rod is working to some degree. After about 15 minutes or less the fridge started back up and now has been running continuously again.

The freezer side was around 0 degrees yesterday and today it stays around +15 so it may be warming up. The fridge side was about 40 degrees last night (I put a thermometer inside) and today is 35-38 degrees.

I guess I need to unload the freezer and see if there is ice behind that rear panel. Before I do that is there some way the timing cycle could get messed up so that the defrost cycle does not occur as frequently as it should? And if I pull the back panel off is there a way to test the defrost heater rod with an ohmmeter in place?

Thanks

well if you hear hissing like water heating the heater its probably working but it may not be getting hot enough to defrost this correctly, remove the panel and see what the frost pattern looks like and let me know, thanks Bryan

The upper third of the coils are free of frost and then the coils are progressively coated from that point on down to the bottom with a heavy coat of frost (but not really ice) at the bottom. Would it be worth trying to hair dry off all the frost and see if it goes back to a normal running cycle?

By the way, the heater rod I replaced in March was a different style then the one that was burned out. I had to reroute the wires along one side but that all looked fine.

ok so you replaced the single with a double heater correct? yes try defrosting the rest of the coils and see if it gets back to normal, for some reason the board may have tripped in the defrost cycle and maybe didn't defrost correctly, let me know thanks Bryan
OK I will defrost them and see how it runs after that and let you know.
that may take care of the fresh food section but the crushed ice is another issue, I believe one of the boards either the mother board or dispenser board has an issue,
OK Bryan. I defrosted the coils, replaced the rear panel and plugged the fridge back in. It has been running continuously and the freezer thermometer now registers about -15 degrees and the fresh food side registers 31 degrees. I have never adjusted the temp. settings for the fridge since it was installed in 2004 (the original settings were 5 and 5) but I moved them up warmer one notch to 4 and 4. It has now been running for about an hour and still no signs of shutting off. Ithink the only time I have noticed it OFF was this morning when it went through the defrost cycle. It does not seem to be controlled by the thermostat. Is there a sensor somwhere that I can test or check?
ok unfortunately i think the main control board is shot, this will affect both the dispenser and the temps. Main Control Boardthis is mounted on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8x10 cover, the best price I've seen on this is @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8 I would change this, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

OK Bryan, thanks for the link. I have ordered the part and will let you know when it arrives if that solves the problem.

Thanks.

ok thanks,well wishes Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I ordered and replaced the motherboard (with a new version). The instructions said to cut a thermister wire for ENCODER models. As near as I can determine an Encoder model refridgerator is one that has dials to set the temp, not push buttons which I have so I did not cut the thermister wire.. After letting it run all day it still was not shutting off. I noticed the back had frost build up and removed the panel, defrosted the ice (quite a bit) and let it run. It still does not shut off and it seems to not blow much air inside the freezer compartment. I have read a few blogs that talk about replacing the evaporator fan at the same time as the motherboard because the fan could be dead and fry the motherboard. Not sure where the fan is or how to replace it but can you give me suggestions on what to now try?

Thanks.