Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

hi I have a ge refrigerator psc23sgmdbs and the ice maker…

hi I have a ge refrigerator...
hi
I have a ge refrigerator psc23sgmdbs and the ice maker isnt producing any ice. The green light is on and steady. The ice drawer is all the way in. It had froze up the other day and I thawed it out put it back together and turned it back on. I am wondering if I lost or broke something during the thaw. The wire actuator arm does not seem to do anything. Is it supposed to lift the switch inside the square hole in the ice maker?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Teamcold :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX are you?

Customer:

I am fine

Teamcold :

In your ice bin had the ice melted together?

Customer:

Yes slightly. The freeze up was more where the ice is produced at the back. I couldn't get the ice bin out, it was frozen in. The cubes were o,k,

Teamcold :

Did it sort of look like that water ran in when it was not supposed to?

Customer:

Yes, maybe driped in

Teamcold :

Ok are you with the unit?

Customer:

yes

Teamcold :

great

Teamcold :

Check inside your ice maker now and see if it has water or ice in it or not and does it look or can you tell if it is normal sized.

Teamcold :

Ice that has not dumped

Customer:

There is no ice or water in the bin. I feel like a switch is not being activated to tell the thing to start making ice

Teamcold :

What about in the ice maker? Is it dry?

Customer:

Its dry no ice. sorry about that I thought you meant the bin

Teamcold :

Its ok I understand, you need to switch off the ice maker. It should be right beside the green light and recheck your model number so I may get the correct part number. Please double check I think there may be a mistake as I cannot get the drawings up.

Customer:

I have PSC23SGMDBS I was able to pull the schematic up on the GE site with this number

Teamcold :

Wow, I could nt. let me try again

Teamcold :

Still cannot, but thats ok I got them up at our supplier. Please give me a minute.

Customer:

no problem

Customer:

I have the ge site do you want me to send you the link

Teamcold :

WR57X10032 is the part number you need and it is number 800 in the drawing,,,I need to check one last thing,,,,,yes they have more than one site, the one i am using may be down. I can tell you gave the correct model number now. I need to check one last thing. One more minute please.

Teamcold :

Full Size Image

Teamcold :

Ok yes your ice maker has a switch, be sure and turn the switch off until you get the valve installed. Once you get the valve replaced you can switch it back on and give it about 30 minutes before it starts to fill.

Customer:

So you are pretty confident that it is the valve not a switch. Do you know approx. how much the valve will run me and is it easy to install. So that actuator arm is not supposed to activate a switch

Teamcold :

The actuator arm does act like a switch. Once the bin is full the ice catches the arm during a harvest and stops the ice maker until the ice level drops and allows the arm to move into place. In any case your ice maker should not be dry. When it stops due to the actuator arm it stops full of ice. Yes I am confident, do you have a few minutes more?

Teamcold :

I have more I would like to add.

Teamcold :

But I want to get a picture and size it to go over it with you

Customer:

Sure, this has been great. I can cancel my service call. I will write you a glowing review

Teamcold :

Yes you can cancel the call,,,,be patient and I will be as thorough as I can.

Customer:

No, on the valve or the frig? I have to wait for my husband to get home to pull the frig out. It is fit in pretty tight. If you can just tell me what to do and I can figure it out. Is there a way to print out this whole conversation?

Teamcold :

I have never seen the customer side, but you should be able to highlight the whole conversation and save it to a new text document and you should be able to come right back to this conversation and view it at anytime.

Teamcold :

Ok here it goes

Teamcold :

Turn off the water supply and disconnect the power.

Teamcold :

Press down on the white ring and pull the tube out

Teamcold :

Then one at a time pull the electrical connector off the red and blue part placing them on the new part one at a time so you do not get them mixed up

Teamcold :

Connect your water supply line from your home to the new valve.

Teamcold :

Plug it in and turn on the ice maker

Teamcold :

Thats it, once you get its about a 10 minute job.

Teamcold :

After it is away from the wall

Customer:

That is awesome. Thanks for your help. Can I request you in the future or is it just the luck of the draw

Teamcold :

You can request me in the title and usually everyone will leave it for me as we try to respect each other. But I also have a friend who may pick it up.

Teamcold :

We work together on the road

Teamcold :

Even if he does I can just give him a call and say hey,,,,

Customer:

O.K. will do. As soon as I can get a hard copy of this I will Press accept. Thanks again

Teamcold :

You are most welcome,,,when you get done I will switch it over to a normal thread and send you a note. You should receive an email with a link right back to this conversation.

Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Here is the thread.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Barry

Edited by Teamcold on 6/25/2010 at 3:55 PM EST