Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The freezer of my GE Profile French Door bottom freezer - refrigerator…

Customer Question
The freezer of my GE...
The freezer of my GE Profile French Door bottom freezer - refrigerator model #PFS22MIS - PFS22SIS is not staying very cold. It is about 20 degrees and the ice cream is soft. The refrigerator is about 37 and seems fine. The digital display often does not show the temperature, so I can not set the temp lower. But I know the last time I was able to set it, I set if for about -5.

I know that an obvious thing to try is not to open it very often. 2 days ago we were gone all day and the ice cream was still warm when we got home.

It is making ice.

I've also noticed that the frame, just above the freezer where the freezer door seals to the frame, is VERY hot. It is almost too hot to touch. Is that normal???

Thanks for your help. Jane
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/25/2010
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
You need to pull the fridge out and remove the lower back panel.There is a fan back there beside the compressor.From what you are saying it sounds like it is not working properly.
The fan isn't spinning even though the compressor is running. What do I do next?
You need to replace that fan asap.If you have a fan you can put down there until you get it replaced.That will help if not then unplug the fridge until it is replaced or you could damage the compressor.
I guess putting in a new fan can only be done by a trained professional???
You should be able to do it yourself.Just look at how it is mounted.
Is a fan readily available at a store?
You would have to call your local appliance parts store.Tell them you need a condencer fan motor.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

You are welcome.

If this has been helpfull please press accept.Thank you.

Any idea why the digital display often does not work???
The controls are faulty.
How does one go about fixing that??
You would need to replace the control board inside the panel where the controls are.
Is that something that needs a professional?? My husband is pretty handy and some electrical skills. I just learned that the fan is most likely going to need to be ordered. I'll keep looking, but I do have a fan back there to help for now. Thanks for your help.
It sounds like your husband will be able to handle it.Just keep the fan blowing on the compressor until it is replaced.
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
After much searching, I was able to find the compressor fan motor and my husband replaced it this afternoon. The fan is still not spinning. It tried a couple weak spins, but just will not work. We've now found that there is a recall on the mother board for some PFS22 units. You said that the control board was likely causing the problem with the display in the front. Now, we think that is causing the problem with the fan not working appropriately. Could it be part of the recall, too??
Additionally, As you suggested, we did put a fan back there and the temps in the freezer to down to -7 and 34 in the freezer and refrigerator overnight. YEAH!! And the display was working this morning.

The display is not working now. The temp in the freezer is about 7 above now. We still have our little fan back there to help cool things off.

My husband got a reading of 2.7 volts dc at the J2 connector with the pink and white wires which lead to the compressor fan motor and it was all hooked up.

The fan should get 12 volts dc.
OK. So does that mean the main board needs to be replaced? If, should that not be covered under some sort of warranty. Model# XXXXX Serial # XXXXX

Or is there something else going on?? It isn't that old. I'm guessing it is about 5 years old. Seems like it should last longer than that for what it costs.
Yes it sounds like the board is bad.There is no warranty on it.
Bummer! Where is the best place to get it??? How much should it be?
You can get it at your local appliance parts store.Or you can order it online at www.appliancepartspro.com They cost about 140 dollars.