Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a small leak which appears to be from the drum/front…

I have a small leak...
I have a small leak which appears to be from the drum/front door seal. I am about to change the front door seal on my LG washing machine model WD-80130F. I am not sure how to do it but it seems straight forward. Can you tell me procedure. Also want to check soap dish and would like to know the best way to check that part of the machine while I'm working on it. Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Hiya,

Here is an example video of a Door seal replacement.

LG, How to change or fit a washing machine door seal or gasket. Instructions

Follow these steps to replace your LG Washing machine door seal.

Disconnect all power to the machine first!!

1 Locate the outer clamp band securing the seal to the door rim on the washing machine and examine it carefully for holes or tears. Many can be prised off with a flat-bladed screwdriver they have a spring system holding them, but some have a tensioning arrangement that has to be loosened.
2 After removing the outer clamp band, locate the inner one securing the seal to the drum and establish how this is secured. It may be necessary to loosen a clip, or you may be able to prise the band off with a flat-bladed screwdriver. Some are like very large Jubilee clips that you have to undo usually from the top.
3 Once the clamp bands have been removed, use both hands to pull the seal away from the inner drum rim. Some LG machines have a water spout holes that will have to be lined up. Others have a drain holes.
4 Rubbing a drop of washing up liquid into the groove on the LG door seal/gasket that locates on the drum makes fitting the new seal easier.
5 Your new LG washing machine door seal should be fitted by locating the drain holes at the bottom of the seal first then push it on with both hands working opposite directions towards the top. This is quite hard if you have never done it before.
6 Refit the inner band remembering this must be tensioned correctly for it to be water tight.
7 now fit the outer band and the test your LG machine for any leaks,

All washing machine spares featured in this article are available at apart4u with more video help in our tutorial section.

Information provided is a guide only. aPart4u accepts no liability for any problems occurring whilst attempting any advice shown. If in any doubt about fixing your appliance, always contact a qualified repairer.

Edited by Neilwill on 6/25/2010 at 1:09 PM EST
I have removed the bands and the old seal - no problem. I have taken the door, top and front electric panel off. I can't really get my hands into the area to install the new seal because of the front panel and the pipes (plastic?) between them. I want to remove the front panel (and lowest panel but cannot find any screws other than for the front panel at the top. How do I remove the front panel (the one with the door)? Is there a trick to this? I think I will then be able to manage.
That I did not find a diagram for.
Let me see if another expert can come on board and help you with this.
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
I have completed this job many time..Yo do not have to remove the front panel...If you first install the band around the front of tub...Then push the rest of the new seal inside...This will give you plenty of room to work with...You will only complicate things by removing the panel...The trick is to push the new seal into the inside of cabinet...
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
OK - will try that and let you know if I can't get it to work. thanks for the quick reply - will work on it first thing Monday morning!
Great goodluck..Also Once you use the accept option if you dont mind please leave some feedback..Thanks Bob