Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a KA electric oven model YKERC607 and it has the internal…

I have a KA electric...
I have a KA electric oven model YKERC607 and it has the internal probe in the oven. Since yesterday it was flicking on and off detecting the probe and then not. Then while I was using the elements it flicked on and stayed on asking for the probe. I put the probe in and pulled it out and then it just showed the square with the probe icon on the display and then would flick on and off asking for the probe again. I unplugged it. Same thing happened when I plugged it back in. I turned off the circuit breaker for the oven and left it off for a few hours and then I turned it back on and still showed the icon. Finally, last night I plugged the probe in and left it in all night. When I got up this morning took the probe out, pressed cancel and it went back to normal.

However, just now as i was trying to use the broiler, it started asking for the probe again. I put it back in and tried to select broiler and it wouldn't allow it becaues the probe was in. I pulled the probe out and it just keeps asking to insert the probe if any of the oven options are on. HELP!
6/24/2010
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
You have a bad board, the fact that it asked for a probe in broil indicates that you will need to replace the main board.

Brandon
Bad board as in the main control panel? Is this something I can replace myself or do I need a technician to come and do it?
You should be able to replace it yourself. I can get you the part number when I get back to the store this evening. It is the main oven control board. The clock is built into this board. Usually takes me around 15 to 20 mins to install one so I am sure you can do it. Just remember to swap wire for wire, don't cross anything
If you could get me a part number that would be great. Hopefully I'll be able to find one here. It seems that I've been able to 'reset' it so far. I left the probe in for a few hours and just took it out and then baked something at 350F without it coming back on. Maybe it only comes one at higher temps like at broil? I'm thinking that the board might have gotten zapped yesterday as this all started after we had that mini earthquake (I'm in Toronto).

Will the part come with some sort of instructions or can I get those online to replace it?

Bad news, looked up the part number, it's(NNN) NNN-NNNNand my distributor says it's discontinued and they are referring me to phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN The only way to replace it is find someone with it in stock, or send it off to be rebuilt. If you choose to send it off be sure to label the wires very well. If you can, I would probably try to live with it till something else breaks or replace the range, I don't like the idea of a rebuilt board. Sorry for the bad news on it. Thanks!

Brandon

Repairman1981
Awww crap... thanks for your help anyway.