Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Hi, I have a Whirlpool Over the Range Microwave Oven that the…

Hi, I have a Whirlpool...
Hi, I have a Whirlpool Over the Range Microwave Oven that the handle broke on. I bought a replacement handle, but I don't know how to separate the frame from the door. All I see are the three screws on the end of the door. The microwave is in perfect working condition and I don't want to mess it up. Can you give me step-by-step instructions on how to get the door apart without destroying the oven?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JA.
If the information I provide for you today is useful please be sure to click on "accept" before you log off. This is how we are paid. It will not close the question or this chat session. So far all you have done is made a deposit. The funds do not transfer to me unless you click on "accept"
Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Please check th emodel number. It is not showing asd a good number on the tech site.

The Home Smithy :

Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok the screrws that hold the door on are under the door seal. Carefully pull up on the seal and the screws align with the door handel ends.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you need anything else.

The Home Smithy :

If not please be sure to click on "ACCEPT" .

The Home Smithy :

Thank you.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page. If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.The Home Smithy40353.7667716435

I don't know what the "door seal" is. I see a black plastic frame around the inside with the door grill on it. There are two metal tabs that lock the door closed, but they don't line up with the screws, so I didn't try to remove them. I know the handle screws are inside the door under the "I guess" door seal. But it won't just pop off. I took the three screws out at the end of the door, but the seal remains in place. It's not from grease or anything like that. The oven is clean, so the seal is not being "stuck" in place. Is the glass on the door frame or the seal frame? Do I pry around the door with a putty knife to remove the seal? I've stuck a putty knife in to see if I can pry it off, but I think if I put any pressure on it I will break the door seal or the outer frame. Both of which are unacceptable solutions.

What you need to do is use the putty knife and work around the door while gently pulling the putty knife towards the outside of the door. This will allow the door to be separated and the screws to be accessed.

Edited by The Home Smithy on 6/25/2010 at 2:21 AM EST

Hi, I finally built up the courage to pry the door frame from the seal frame and repaired the handle. Fortunately, it went back together easier than it came apart.

It looks great! Thank you for your help.

I have accepted your answer.

Bruce

Thats great, Bruce!

I know that prying on things is not something that is easy to convince someone to do. The first customer I had with this same type problem basicly told me that I was full of mule manure. So I went to my own microwave just to be sure that I was tought correctly about this repair and (much to my wifes objections) proceeded to open up my micro.

Unfortunatly they never returned to see my post confirming the proceedure.

Thank you for accepting.

Best, THS