Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Hello, I just bought a hot tub. I filled it with water, turned…

Customer Question
Hello, I just bought a...
Hello, I just bought a hot tub. I filled it with water, turned on the pump, but no action at the jets. What can I be doing wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/22/2010
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Teamcold :

Hello, have you seen a valve or a place where you can prime the pump?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Was there water at the filter?
I opened the side panel and saw what appeared to be 2 stems with handles on them. I assume that these must be open to let the water flow to the pump. Even with the handles up (or open) still there doesn't seem to be any water pumping.
When you opened the filter was there water at that point and is it the type that has a top lid?
Hi, I don't know if you receive my last e mail so I will send it again. I opened the side panel and did not see any "priming" valve. What I did see was what appeared to be 2 gate valves. One before the heater and one after the pump. I did open both of those valves but it did not help. Thanks.
Ok thats good, you need to tell me about the filter. Is it the type that has a lid?
I has a floating collar around the top but is open to water with no lid or flap.
There has to be a point somewhere you can open the system and add water. For example a filter that had a top that was sealed would be perfect because you could open that top, close the valve just past the pump and fill it with water. That would remove all the air and the pump would take off. You do not always have to prime pumps but when they will not circulate this is the case it must be primed.

I answered your request because I knew you might have a difficult time getting service here in this forum. Most all of us are appliance techs but I have experience with pumps so I thought I would offer my idea.

I will opt out so other techs may respond.

Thanks,
Barry