Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Hotpoint side by side and the fridge and freezer have…

Customer Question
I have a Hotpoint side...
I have a Hotpoint side by side and the fridge and freezer have a freon smell when you open the doors. My ice has the taste in it now. I have not punctured any holes or any thing. But for the last month or so, when the ice maker dumps it turns into one huge cunk instead of pieces. I have tgo take out the ice holder and dump it almost everyday to get the chuncks out. Don't know if these things are conected. Can anyone help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/21/2010
Appliance Technician: Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech replied 8 years ago
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
The problem is within the water valve that fills the tray..Its not shutting off...So it fills the tray up to far...If you go to the back of the freezer follow the waterline down to the valve...
Bob L Your  Appl Pal

Is that what is causing the freon smell on the freezer and fridge side also?

Sorry, I don't know much about these things but after I follow the waterline down to the valve will I have to clean it or replace it? What would be the repair suggetion.

Freon really does not have a smell...If it was a freon leak then the fridge would not cool at all..The thing to do on the valve is to check the ice maker tray before it dumps...Look at the water level...There is also a water level adjustment on the ice maker...Pull the front cover directly off...It will be on the side of the module(the part the cover was removed from)...This adjustment will regulate how much water is filling into the tray...If that does not change it then replace the valve...