Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My dehumidfier runs but does not collect water from the air.

Customer Question
I have only used it...
My dehumidfier runs but does not collect water from the air. I have only used it for 3 years.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/20/2010
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question.

Does the evaporator coil get cold and is the fan motor going.

The fan is running and the air feels cool and the area that contains the coils feels cold.

I did not diassemble the unit.

Is the temp in the room your using it in below 70 deg.
The temperature is 72 deg. and the humidity is 58%.
Well the temps ok the unit could be low on refrigerant causing that you really have to look at the evaporator coil to see if its cold a little it should be completely cold and wet.

If it is low on refrigerant, can I add some or is that a task for someone knowledgeable or would you suggest to just get a new one. It would probably cost me just as much if I have to get someone to fix it.

Thanks!

You cant just add anymore we used to but now the leak has to be repaired and its costly.

Your better off buying a new one.

I talked to a clerk at Ace Hardware and he instructed me to take the frame off and spray it with a cleaner meant for that and it works now. Thank you for your answer but it didn't help me so I feel I don't owe you anything. Thanks anyway.
Thats great you got it fixed, when thats the problem usually the compressor will cut out from over heating and that wasn't happening.thats why I never mentioned it.