Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

soap and softener tray stuck closed

Customer Question
it appears the detergent tray...
soap and softener tray stuck closed it appears the detergent tray has floated up and is blocking the top of the tray opening. it will slide about a quarter of an inch,
Bruce
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/20/2010
Appliance Technician: Rob, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Hi
There are a couple of versions of this.
Does it look like the top of the machine comes off by a couple of screws at the back?

Thanks
Rob
There is a plastic "hinge" type thing on back attached to top and machine by two screws. I removed the screws and tried to lift top but appears to be screwed inside of machine
If you look along the side of the machine at the top, is the top (the metal lid), separate to the machine?

Yes the top is seperate. When I removed the screws, and tried to pry open I saw a white plastic plug which holds the top down. when prying, the metal bent slightly. i was able to pound down.

does this slide off?

Hi
Yes. If you've removed the two screws you should be able to slide and lift the lid. Make sure the electricity is off.
You may have to slide it forward or back, there are several types
Thanks
Rob
I was able to slide it off. will disconnect power and look inside
OK
Well done.
You will see the top of the drawer.
Again, they have several types. One is screwed together !
If you take this apart you need to be careful when you put it back together to make it watertight.
If its molded in one piece, you need to thump the top whilst gently trying to slide out the drawer.

I hope this answers your question

Thanks
Rob
looks like one peice, i will try tapping and sliding
HI
Shame its the one piece one, Thats all you can do now. Otherwise you can try using a long thin knife in through the gap at the front to push down the tray

Good luck !

Thanks
Rob
Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Well I will try shaking it, can i slip the unit out and shake it?
Hi
the unit, depending on type, is sometimes held by a couple of screws in the unit, ie you have to remove the drawer to get to the screws !
Otherwise its a couple of screws and the hoses

Rob
i noticed six plastic clamps three on each side which appear to hold the top down. kinda hard to reach between the side of the washer and the tray. can these be pryed and slide the top off?
Hi
Yes, that is one of the ways they hold this on. Once you have the lid off, you will probably have to remove the unit to be able to refit the lid and the clamps though.
You might be better off just trying to thump it, or use the knife first
Thanks
Rob
Thanks I was able to get it open.
Hi
So, your set. Well done.
If i helped, please click the accept button as this is how i get paid

Thanks
Rob