Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Viking Range. A repairman said it would be $500 to…

Customer Question
I have a Viking Range...
I have a Viking Range. A repairman said it would be $500 to replace the two oven ignitors. I see them for sale online - is it something I can purchase and replace myself?

Thank you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/19/2010
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.
Thank you.

Yes, you can install them yourself. No special tools are required. The igniter wires can be buried under the main burner tube. In that case you will need to remove it to get the wires out. You may also need to remove the back panel to unplug the wires, and connect the new ones.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best, THS

Thank you for your answer - that is great news and very helpful. Can you tell me - to do what you describe, do I even basic electrical tools (needle-nosed pliers) - or is it all just "click in" sorts of connections? For instance, does the burner tube just lift out?

Also, and I guess more importantly, can the parts be the ones I see online or do they have to come from Viking Parts or something?

Thank you!

getting the parts from the manufacturer is always best. The connections are just click together connections. The burner has a couple screws that secure it in place.

Edited by The Home Smithy on 6/19/2010 at 5:45 PM EST
Thank you very much, Home Smithy! :0)

You are most welcome. Thank you for the accept. Please let me know if you have any problems with the repair. I will be happy to assist you further if needed. Just post your question here in this thread.

Best, THS