How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 17629
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I need to change the keypad on my GE microwave model number

This answer was rated:

Hi. I need to change the keypad on my GE microwave model number JVM1704SMSS. Can you tell me how to get the front piece off so I can remove the old keypad. Is this a job I can do easily or will I need someone with more technical experience with this microwave? Thank you.
Hi you will need to remove the grill/vent above the door first. If you look into the slots you should see the screws holding it in place. Once this grill is out you will see the screws holding the control panel in place. Remove these screws and the control panel should come right out. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Mike and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. I just accepted your answer and paid. Thank you. I now have the whole black and silver instruction piece with the keypay inside off from the microwave. If I can remove the actual keypad computer piece from the inside of the door cover, can I just purchase another one, snap it back in and reattach it to the microwave?
Thanks! Unfortunately the keypad in only sold as one whole assembly (105) Click HERE to order the control panel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have taken off the control panel assembly with the smart board attached inside of it. If I replace the control panel should I also replace the smart board? If so, is it easier to replace the hold microwave?
You only need to replace part 105 on the schematic I sent you. The cost of this part is about $130, if the unit is in real good shape I would go ahead with the repair. If not in good shape I would replace it. Mike
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your help and immediate service. I appreciate it. I will check it out and get back to you. I am concerned about removing the smart board from the inside of the panel. I have been able to disconnect the plastic pieces that snap in but there is one piece on the side that has a magnetic strip attached. With this piece I am not sure the white plastic connection disconnects. I am afraid of breaking it.


I will speak with you later. Thanks again.

Ok thanks :)