Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

i can tell that the freezer fan on my 2002 ge side-by-side…

Customer Question
i can tell that the...
i can tell that the freezer fan on my 2002 ge side-by-side refrigerator is working. It appears that the condenser is not. Neither side is cooling. How can I tell if I need a new condenser?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/16/2010
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question.

How do you mean its trying to work is it noisy.

Can you feel frost on the freezer coils .

Were the coils at the back very dirty.

The only coils we can find that are accessible are on the bottom of the refrigerator - they are underneath a cylindrical cage kind of thing - hard to get to - yes, they are dusty - and the cage is dusty inside and even with a vacuum it is hard to clean. There is absolutely no frost on the coil. Are there coils inside somewhere? There is no way to take the back off of the fridge. When I say that the fan is "trying to work", I mean that it is trying to come on - it "groans" every few seconds or so, and then it shuts off. That's the fan that's in a little box at the top of the fresh food side (not the freezer).

Can you also hear the freezer fan and hear the one your taking about.

I looked at your model number and it shows the coils to clean at the back of the fridge behind the bottom panel .

I think the fan motor is the main problem.

There are three fans - there is a fan on the large coil at the bottom by the condenser, there is a fan at the top of the freezer inside, there is a fan at the top of the fresh food section inside. It appears that the only one not working is the one inside the fresh food section. The other two are working. How can you tell when a condenser is working and when it isn't? Does it vibrate? Does it make a noise? Is there a way to test it to see if it is bad? I need to know if the condenser is bad or if there is something else down there that should be powering the thing but isn't.

You want to know about the compressor not the condenser.

The black dome is the part you mean, the compressor when its on its warm and it hums and vibrates , if you hear a click from the compressor it means that the relay could be burnt out or a failed compressor.that fridge has a motherboard behind a small panel at the back just above the compressor thats where it gets the power from.

OK....got it...sorry - the compressor is not doing anything. There is no clicking sound anywhere. We have looked at the motherboard - there is nothing that looks burned - no burned smell or anything....
If theres no clicking and the fan motor is going check the relay on the compressor it could be a burnt wire which means the relay would have to be replaced.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Have not rec'd an answer and must now go to bed. Need to ask another expert tomorrow.
What are you talking about we have been going back and fourth for the last 1/ hr.