Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE dryer that takes a couple of hours to dry a load…

Customer Question
I have a GE dryer...
I have a GE dryer that takes a couple of hours to dry a load of laundry. The vent is clear and no kinks. It seems to put out pretty good heat. It keeps running even after clothes are dry on auto dry cycle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/14/2010
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question.

remove the back vent and start the dryer can you tell me the temperature leaving the back vent .

It's a rental house and it's about a twenty minute drive to get there. I did feel the heat coming out of the vent outside when I was there and it was pretty warm, about what I would normally expect. I thought I had fixed the problem by shortening the vent so it wouldn't kink.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=a8b3c244i824395&PartID=824395

This is the element its a double coil and if one burns out it will only give you half the heat, buy one and take it with you when you go it should fix the problem.

Will replacing the element solve the problem of the dryer not shutting off when selecting auto dry?
Yes it will the timer wont move on the auto dry because the heat isn't hot enough to close the thermostat and advance the timer.