Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

when I start my maytag propane dryer it runs for various times…

Customer Question
when I start my maytag...
when I start my maytag propane dryer it runs for various times before shutting off by itself. When it shuts off if I wait a bit I can hear a small click and then I can start it again. If I try starting it before I hear the click it does not turn on.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/14/2010
Appliance Technician: The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Chat Conversation Started
The Home Smithy :

Hi, Welcome to JA.
Please reply so I know when you are with me in this live chat session. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

It sounds like a thermal cut of switch. These usually start to do this when the unit needs to be cleaned inside real good, or occasionally they just go bad.

The Home Smithy :

Please provide the model number of your unit, and I will then be able to help you solve this issue. Thank you.

Customer: where would I clean it? input btu -22,000
Customer: model - dg712 series-05 serial-390440vl
The Home Smithy :

The cleaning would be done to the internal ducts of the unit, as well as the external vents. They do build up lint after a while and it can cause the units to exceed the limit of the thermal cut off switch.

Customer: is the switch "buried" or easy to get to? also is it cheap? should i just buy one or clean first?
The Home Smithy :

Checking the service manual now. I'll be right back

Customer: ok
The Home Smithy :

Sorry for the delay.

Customer: no problem
The Home Smithy :

The bimetal thermostat is a back up for the thermistor. The thermistor is what tells the unit to stop heating. If it doesnt stop the heat the bimetal will cut it off when the temperature reaches 155 degrees. You will need to replace the thermistor. To help you do that please click here and download a copy of the service manual.

Customer: what should i clean it with? vacuum and rags? do i need any special tools?
The Home Smithy :

Go to page 3-24 for the removal instructions for the thermistor.

Customer: thank alot! big help. I will shoot you your money now.
The Home Smithy :

The thermistor is available at most any appliance parts supplier or on line at this web site. It is part #6

The Home Smithy :

Basic hand tools, and an old stiff paint brush is what I use to clean the lint with.

The Home Smithy :

Sorry the link didnt come through in my last post. Here it is again