Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a really old Westing house stove. I rcently had our…

Customer Question
I have a really old...
I have a really old Westing house stove. I rcently had our house cleaner clean it and now the bottom burner will not come on. I know there's a trick to this, can you remind me please?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/13/2010
Appliance Technician: Craig, Electrical Technician replied 8 years ago
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
By 'bottom burner' are you referring to the oven? This old stove most likely has pilot lights and the house cleaner has extinguished the pilot light in the oven. Just use a stick match to relight it and place the match neat the end of the pilot assembly. You will see the pilot gas tube going to the pilot assembly.
Yes, sorry, the oven bottom element. It is an alectric stove, I believe it is something to do with the timer'ish dials that say stop/start at the top near where you would turn on the stove top burners. I am getting heat from the top of the oven but not from the bottom.
Use a flash light and check the lower oven element and make sure it's not broken or disturbed, possible damage from the cleaning. Give it a close look.
Bottom burner looks fine, no obvious issues there. We have had this happen before and it was something to do with the knobs on top turning them or pushing them in, can't remember. This model is very old, it was old 10 years ago!
Well, not real sure how it's set up. You can try pushing in on the oven dial and turning it on, it should say 'bake' and 'broil' so if you can still read the lettering it should say which is which. Try pushing in on the oven dial and turning it.
Sorry for the delay, I was trying to send you a digital pic of the dials, but of course my battery died, I am charging now. I;ll try to send a file when it's alive, sorry. Neither is marked as bake or broil, only temp. dial, timer dial, stop and start. Thanks, I'll charge and email pic to you later
yes, that would help, use the little green button above next to the youtube button.