Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

gas dryer will heat up at times and then not at all. The ignitor…

Customer Question
gas dryer will heat up...
gas dryer will heat up at times and then not at all. The ignitor will not glow at all when it doesnt work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/11/2010
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks for the question .

what exactly did you replace so Ill know.

First of all i ordered the monthly subscription so do I have to still pay the first 14$ and I replaced the thermastat thats by the flame and the ignitor

You pay the one fee when you accept.

so when it doesnt work the igniter doesnt come on, then all of a sudden it works for you is that it.

how does the one time moth fee work? I dont mind paying for this answer but not sure what else it was i signed up for. As for as the dryer I will get it to work and then it will stop working for the rest of the cycle. The igniter will never glow at the time its not working.
you can ask as many questions as you want for the time you signed up for.it sounds like the Hi Limit thermostat is to closing once it turns off the igniter, its the one on the heater funnel check the venting to the outside that could cause the problem.

Venting outside is good

Ohm meater shows continuity on this part
it can show continuity and still not work properly, its that or the micro computer and the thermistor is cheap to try .
can I jump the thermister first Id hate to throw parts at this thing
no that you cant do , it has to be replaced you have a choice here, replace that or the micro computer , I would replace the thermistor.
I will do that and Accept answer if it works.
That sound like a plan talk later.

It worked once then never worked after that, no glow in ignitor. Now what?

Join the wires on # XXXXX ant tape them up and try it let me know what happens.
no glow no flame

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.896484/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=7&ModelNum=11070056991

well , you can look at the control board for a burn mark, you have checked all the thermostats , the thermal fuse couldn't cause that but you can join those wires and see if thats the problem not many more parts to check after the board.

didnt work how to check the board

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.344761/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=7&ModelNum=11070056991

Is this one of the sensors you replaced, the board normally shows a brownish spot on the board.

no
Thats the flame sensor if its open it wont light up the igniter, join those two and tape them up. if it lights the igniter replace the sensor.
nothing
The last part is the control check it for the brownish spot on the board
no brown spot
I will opt out maybe another expert can pick up something that was missed, don't answer this please .

Edited by appliance doctor on 6/12/2010 at 7:11 PM EST
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Appliance Technician: Chas, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

When you first start the dryer after it is cooled down, if the burner lights and then goes out, then the igniter glows again after a couple of minutes and then does not light the burner, then you need to replace the holding and booster coil on the gas valve, if it is lighting one time or not at all then you will need to replace the micro computer in the control panel.

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK should not be given, I am willing if my advice is not SATISFACTORY to give you a refund of your deposit. I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory