Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kitchenaid diswasher KUDS0 1DJBT1 No lights show on top of

Kitchenaid diswasher KUDS0 1DJBT1 No lights...
Kitchenaid diswasher KUDS0 1DJBT1
No lights show on top of door
items checked:
ran power with extension cord and checked power with electric drill
thermal switch measures 0 resistance.
door microswitch measures open it white button up and then closed when white top button is pressed down.
6/11/2010
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
I have checked your schematic and based on your symptom and what you are saying you have checked and the results you received when you checked, your control board or control panel is bad and must be replaced. To determinwe which, follow the part in the tech sheet that allows you to check each led and switch individually . From experience, it is MORE likely to be the control board itself and not the panel, but it CAN be either one and SOMETIMES both (rare) . Here is a link to a very reliable online parts source. The control board is #11 and the panel is #1 in the diagram. CLICK HERE FOR PARTS LINK
Before you replace ANY parts for this problem, BE SURE that your readings are correct. If this is the stainless tub version , you have one door switch but if its the plastic, you will have TWOO door switches to check. Even with faulty door switches though, you WILL have SOME response from the display. ie lights.
Please let me know if I can help further.
Thanks!

Also, HERE is a lonk to your tech sheet if you do already have it.

Edited by Eric on 6/11/2010 at 8:05 PM EST
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

You have a open thermal fuse on the top left corner of the control inside the door.

jump the Black and Black White on the fuse together and see if you get lights and control operation?
I don't how jumping the leads will help. As I stated before the fuse measures 0 ohms.
It appears another tech jumped in to answer without reading what you had already written.
If the connection to the thermal fuse is ok and, AS YOU CLEARLY STATED in your original question, you measured 0 ohms across the fuse, that indicates that the fuse is ok. You can confirm this by jumping the connection to the fuse if you wish. If confirmed, please read my original answer.
Please let me know if you have any further questions!
Thanks
It appears I have stainless steel and one microswitch. I am trying to figure what I need to connect the ohmmeter and push buttons at the same time.
When you look at the diagram on that tech sheet, you will see that you can test each individual button/switch circuit by connecting your ohm meter to the coresponding pair of contacts on the ribbon coming from the panel and going to the control board. Under power, VOLTAGE checks can also be made at these points. This is usually a time consuming and sometimes frustrating process but can sometimes differentiate between panel/ccu failures. In this case, to verify what I suspect the problem to be, the control board (ccu) failure, check for power TO the board by placing your VOLT meter leads between the black wire with white stripe from the thermal fuse, TO white wire (neutral) and look for 120VAC. Also, with door switch CLOSED check for power from TAN wire to the WHITE wire, looking for 120VAC. WIth door switch OPEN, you should see 0VAC. The door switch on this model only gives power to the motors, fill valve and dispenser (loads) and has nothing to do with panel operation, but check just to be thorough.
Please let me know if you have more questions. Glad to answer them.
Thanks

Edited by Eric on 6/11/2010 at 11:25 PM EST
I removed the P1 cable from the controller board and was able to find solid wire that nicely fit into the socket. I bought adapters for my voltmeter to clip on the wire and using the diode setting checked each of the push buttons. Each seemed to be OK. Then using the voltmeter I tried the connections you suggested. Everything seemed fine but it appeared that the power cable in the dishwasher was connected with the neutral and hot wire reversed. I opened the junction box on the dishwasher and found one of the wire nuts was completely disintegrated and the inside of the box was black. I will get new wire nuts after work tomorrow and see if that was the only problem.
That is DEFINITELY a possibility. I apologize, I guess I assumed that when you said you checked power with an alternate source in your original post , you had checked the power conection to the machine at the box as well. You know what they say about assuming Embarassed Laughing . At any rate , checking POWER at the points I suggested previously in my above post will also verify you are on the right track. Sounds like you are very close here and if so, repair is very easy, cheap and quick! Good luck and let me know how it goes !
Thanks
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
We are washing dishes. I ended up adding an external cord for the present because the dishwasher power cord had burnt at the duplex receptacle as well. I need to get another appliance cord and run it under the dishwasher. I will need to check the duplex receptacle for damage as well.
I had recent problems with a duplex receptacle failure with the washing machine so I had been careful to make sure I had power to the dishwasher plug. It had not occurred to me that I would a massive failure of the internal wiring. I don't yet know how to check the power wire with a voltmeter.
Thanks for your help. I will mark the answer accepted.
Not a problem and I am very glad to hear that you got it going again! If you ever have a problem with this machine again, you are now nearly a pro at diagnosing and fixing It! Cool
It's been my pleasure helping you and have a great evening!
The replacement power cord fixed the first problem as stated above.

The dishwasher failed again. Using the previous notes I was able to determine the problem was the fuse. I used the referenced location to order the part and was able to fix the dishwasher again.

As far as I know I had done everything you had mention in your recent note.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician