Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a 5 year old GE refridgerator. The ice bucket kept freezing…

Customer Question
I have a 5 year...
I have a 5 year old GE refridgerator. The ice bucket kept freezing into a clump. I thought it was the ice maker so I replaced it. I thought it was the water fill valve letting water drip into the bucket so I replaced it. I thought it was the defrost times sticking closed so I replaced it. The seal around the door is perfect and I live alone so it is not because the door is left open too long. I check it every day and empty the solid clump so it's not because the ice is setting too long. As an experiment I filled the empty ice bucket with dry cold purchased ice from a bag and turned off the ice maker. In 5 hours the bucket was solid again. So I effective eliminated the ice maker and the water source dripping. The fridge is plenty cold as the ice clump is very solid. As a side note, the ice cream in this freezer has thawed out into liquid and refroze also. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/11/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
this is a common issue on these GE refrigerators and it has to do with the defrost cycle. When it goes into defrost, it's sticking too long. There is a thermistor that you will need to order and replace. If you pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer you will see silver coils called your evaporator. Attached to the top of the evaporator is a tiny white plastic bullet with 2 thin wires. This is your thermistor and you just need to replace it, then you will be good to go again.
I did that. It was a disc looking unit clipped to the top tube of the evaporator coil with two wires. I called it the defrosts thermostat (sorry). Still have the problem.
no that's not the right part. That is your defrost thermostat---I'm talking about your thermistor.
So where would it be? That was the only thing I saw clipped to the evaporater.
it's clipped onto the top of the evaporater, it's there you just need to look again.
I will call a local repair shop where I got the thermostat and order the thermistor and see what they say. I'll get back to you. You said it's a white plastic bullet. So it doesnt look at all like the thermostat then?
that's correct
Ok I'll try that and let you know.
take care
I will pay you when I have had a chance to try your recommendation. I needed to go out of town until the 21st so I will attend to it then. Thank you.
good luck.