Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Hi. I had an old electric oven which has been disconnected…

Customer Question
Hi. I had an old electric...
Hi.
I had an old electric oven which has been disconnected from the mains for months.
I decided to move it from our back door to our garage so it's not in the way.
I have taken bits off to make it lighter to move. I have cut through some electric wires to do this.
On cutting the wires there was smoke for several mins which has now stopped.
Is this okay? Is there any danger of a fire?
I currently have the oven in my garden away from the house.
I'm just worrried I have done some harm
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/11/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

how did you cut the wires? what did you use ? an electric saw? you say this wasn't connected to the house wiring is that correct?

AEG Competance. Sorry i don't hane any more details.

I used pliers.

The oven has not been connected to any electrical mains for about a year.

Thank you

well if it wasn't connected to the mains it cant be an electrical smoke my guess is it was the insulation that was smoking , I don't believe there is any danger though , let it set if it doesn't smoke any more than it should be fine. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Thank you!

I thought it was ok, but was worried!

Hi Bryan

Sorry to bother you again.

Every time I move the wires on the oven the smoke starts again.

Like you say it probably is the insulation, but is there anything I can do to stop this happening. I would like to move the old appliance into my garage until we can dispose of it.

well , the insulation is probably letting smoke like dust out every time you move the wires would be my guess. the insulation gets old and turns almost dust like. it cant possibly be a fire without electricity try spraying a little water in the area thats smoking, see if it stops, how much (smoke) is there?