Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How much would this cost to fix, if your explanation is correct…

Customer Question
How much would this cost...
How much would this cost to fix, if your explanation is correct? I am disabled, on limited income. (Home aid has been doing my laundry, probably putting in too much detergent. I have known not to do this and do use HE detergent.)

WOULD IT BE CHEAPER TO BUY A NEW MACHINE (AT OVER $500)?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
6/11/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
This is really not a job you want to do yourself because the parts along cost over $500-600. If you wanted to replace the parts yourself, you'd be looking at a day of labor on top of that. Usually when this happens, it's time to replace the unit unless you have circumstances such as the water won't fit out the doorway because it was built in or something to that extent.
How do I get a copy of the previous answer? I didn't write down the details. Thanks.
I need the answer from Neilwill, who responded to my first question with an explanation of what might be wrong with my washer. The answer above was in response to my 2nd question about how much it would cost if Neilwill's explanation is correct. If you can email me the answer, that would be great. I am going to bed. I have been online all night trying to deal with this while also hand washing the dirt out of the laundry that came out of the washer. Thanks.
Appliance Technician: Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
What is the complete model number of your Kenmore washer?
Kenmore washers use an 11 didget model number like this.,Example: 417. 12345678
It will be on a sticker inside the door way of the machine.

if you washer is 6 years old it may not be worth spending the few hundred dollars to replace the main seal and bearing. If you can have a tech come out and inepect the machine hands on, they can check it tell you if this is the problem for the cost of one service call before you spend the money to buy another one.

I looked at Sears frontload washers and found one that is a good machine at a very good price if you descide to replace it.

Your decision to make.

Here is an interesting report I just read!!!!!!!!!!

Repair or replace?

When to pull the plug on your old washer

Typically, you'll also find a troubleshooting section for more-serious problems
in the owner's manual.
Should you pay for a repair or buy a new model?
The answer depends mostly on the age of your washer,how much you bought it for,and the cost of the repair.

Follow these guidelines:

When a repair makes sense.

If your washer is under warranty or less than four years old ,
paying for a repair makes sense.
Note that washers under warranty might require service from a factory-authorized technician;
readers have found them on a par with independent repairers.
When a repair might be a wise choice.
 If your washer is out of warranty and is four to seven years old,
it might make sense to pay for a repair. Customers generally pay $100 to $200 for a repair.
But you might want to buy a new model even at this stage,
given that today's models have added features.Higher energy efficiency is another plus: Energy Star-qualified models made after April 28, 2009,
are 43 percent more efficient than conventional models built before 2001 and 56 percent
more efficient than those built before 1993.

When it pays to replace.

The repair costs more than half the price of a comparable new washer.
Data also shows that it doesn't pay to fix a less-expensive washer
eight or more years old.

Thanks to better recycling programs, less than 10 percent
of washers you replace are likely to end up in a landfill.