Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The bottom oven door on my Maytag Gemini will not open! How

Customer Question

The bottom oven door on my Maytag Gemini will not open! How do I get this bottom oven door to open?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
Try unplugging the unit for 60 seconds to see if the door will open. If not, then start a self clean cycle in the bottom oven and wait 60 seconds, then cancel the cycle and wait another 60 seconds. If it still won't unlock, then you need to replace your lock motor. The lock motor on this unit is located on the back of the oven. If you remove the back panel, there is a loc motor attached to a long rod that goes to the front to move the latch. You will need to replace this motor to correct the issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Already tried unplugging the unit and cancelling the Lock on the display!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok then like I said, you need to replace the lock motor on the back of the range.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your suggestions have been tried except for the new motor!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok, well then that means you just need to replace the motor since you're up to that point
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would like the lower door on my Maytag Gemini to unlock and open...is it a programming problem that you can not overcome!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
it's not a programming problem when the door latch has failed. If you want, you can remove the motor on the back and then push the rod over manually. That will get the unit unlocked. But the unit will not work until you replace the motor so there is no point in doing this.