Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Maytag Gemini Double Oven - the small upper oven works fine

but the bottom oven is...
Maytag Gemini Double Oven - the small upper oven works fine but the bottom oven is crazy...doesn't maintain temp, will drop temperature but not on the display...all of a sudden will turn off, says its 450 degrees but with another thermometer inside, it reads 250....element still works?? No idea what to think...
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2010
Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Is this gas or electric?
electric
Ok then the element isnt the problem. You either have a bad control board or a bad thermostat. You can swap the lower oven thermostat with the top oven thermostat. Then try it. If it still acts up then you have a bad control board.
Can't I swap elements? How difficult is it to swap thermostats?
The element is good. The thermostats are easy. Pull the oven forward. Remove the back panel. Then open up the oven door. The thermostat sits in one of the top corners on the back wall. It is just a metal shaft.
I swapped the thermostats but because of the connections the top thermostat (now in the bottom oven) must still hook up to the top wire... and vice versa. So if I turn on the bottom oven now the thermostat in the bottom is now wired to the top??
Yeah this oven wont let you swap them. Do you have a multimeter?

I just swapped the entire cluster top and bottom... that should put the top controls now working for the bottom oven and vice versa, I hope. Should I try it and see if the top oven now has the previous problems of the bottom? I guess the only thing we haven't swapped is the elements...

I do have a multimeter but am not the world's best electrician.

You can try it. You can test the thermostat by testing the ohms in it. It should read 1080 ohms at room temp.

okay... the top oven still controls the top oven and now the way it is wired it heated up once but won't maintain the temp. The bottom oven on the other hand when set to 350 heated up past 500 so I shut it off.

My bet is that there is something fishy with that original bottom thermostat which now won't reheat the upper oven. Do I start my crap shoot with replacing it and seeing what happens?

Thats what I would do. Replace the thermostat. You can order the part from www.repairclinic.com
Appliance Man
The part on repairclinic.com is called a sensor and it has an adapter so it can be used on the top or bottom oven. Thanks
Your welcome. Take care.
Appliance Man
Appliance Man