Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Frigidaire upright freezer is making a whining sound. It seems

Customer Question
like it is coming from...
Frigidaire upright freezer is making a whining sound. It seems like it is coming from the back near the bottom. Thermometor reads 0. Compressor pretty hot. Where is the fan located? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
do you have a model number so that i can better assist you? And if you open the door does the sound get louder?

The noise does not get louder when the door is open.

I can't find the model number. But the unit is at least 10 years old.

ok so the noise is either going to be your compressor itself, or depending on if your model is self defrosting or not, there may be a fan just to the side of your compressor that would make the noise. Pull the unit forward and if you have a condenser fan, it'll be sitting there next to the big black large compressor. You can stop the fan to see if the noise persists. If so then it's your compressor and you need to replace it. If it doesn't have a fan, then it's your compressor as well obviously.
The unit is self defrosting. Where is the fan (it's not by the compressor). Seems to me a panel needs to be removed from inside the unit, but I don't remember WHERE or HOW! Basically, do you know where the fan would be if it isn't next to the compressor?
then there isn't a fan. Not all units have a fan. And if the noise were coming from inside the unit it would get louder when you opened the door, that is why I asked if it got louder.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc