John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Whirlpool dishwasher does not wash. The spray arms are

Customer Question

My Whirlpool dishwasher does not wash. The spray arms are not turning and spraying at all. How should I fix the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

is there enough water after the fill cycle the water should be just below the element.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe so. Below what element?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The element is # XXXXX so is the water just below that,also what else did you look at to try and find the problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I understand, the #14 look like a washer between the heater (#13) and the tub. Water is about 1/3" above #14 and 1/3" below the #13 (heater).
By the way, the dishwasher drains. Doesn't look like pump problem.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
thats not enough water , take the bottom panel off and check # XXXXX thats the water valve, theres a screen that can get sediment and slow the water flow and that can cause this problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I need to shut the water off before I touch this?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
yes , turn the water off and disconnect the water line and remove the valve to clean the screen, when its working is it noisier than normal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think it takes me a while to try it out. I will let you know when it works.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
yes thats fine get back to me when your done .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi are you there? I got valve out and the screen looks clean to me. I don't see any tiny bit thing blocking the screen. Can I take #16 apart?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
theres no need to , if the screen is clear then the problem could be the wash impeller they wear out and wont push the water up through the spray arm.theres a kit you can buy to replace that part , you can order it from Sears its called a seal and impeller kit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The first attempt did not work. I now need to check with Sears to the part. I will have to find out if the new attempt works before I pay. I will let you know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I finally got the part on top of impeller out. The impeller doesn't look like worn. Before I install the impeller kit I ordered, I would like to ask one more question. I did one more test with dishwasher door open (I pushed down the door sensor while testing). I noticed that the lower spray arm spays the water with only half the height. Upper spray arm does not spray. Do you think it's still the problem with impeller? The part costs me almost $60.00. I just want to make sure it works. By the way, the impeller kit also comes with another part. I think it called chopper.

Thanks,

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Just make sure the filter for the pump is clean its the number 9 in the breakdown.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The filter is clean. I cleaned it a while back. Because I had hard time to to take out the top of impeller I took apart the filter to clean instead and then glue it back. Do you mean if the filter is clean it must be the problem of impeller?

Thanks,

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Yes as long as thats clean and the spray arms are clean.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I replaced the impeller. However it's not working. The water comes from lower spray arm half height and there is no water coming out from upper spray arm.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
I looked back at our conversation you said the water was 1/3 in above # XXXXX and 1/3 in below # XXXXX how can that be , try adding some more water from the sink tap and see if it works better.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried this before. It was the same result as now.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Why did you glue the filter screen anyway I just cant see why you had to do that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The filter actually consists of top screen portion and bottom plastic plate portion. In the very beginning when the dishwasher stopped working, I tried to take out the top plate of impeller, but I couldn't. The screw moved with motor. So I tried to see if I could take the filter out because it looks dirty on the screen. The screen came off and I couldn't put it back afterwards because there's no screws or anything for me to make the screen to stick to the bottom part of the filter. So I bought plastic glue to them together. I beleive this is also how filter was put together by Whirlpool.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Well Ill bet that its the problem, I didn't know you did that , I would have told you to replace that filter instead of the impeller.