Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Garbage disposal, when switch turned on just hums. Have tried

Garbage disposal, when switch turned on just hums. Have tried all steps listed to try and repair myself. Except using the wrenchette,as I do not know what that looks like and this is a pretty old disposal,. What other common tool might work??
ok on the very bottom of the disposal in the center there is a hole you put an Allen wrench in to turn this back and forth and loosen up whatever is jamming it, just turn the wrench back and forth with some pressure to get it freed up. if your able to turn this easy then the motor is bad and the disposal needs replacing, you just need to find the right size Allen wrench, hope this helps, thanks Bryan