Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washing machine does not perform the spin cycle. Its a

My washing machine does not...
My washing machine does not perform the spin cycle. It's a Whirlpool LSB6000PQ1. During the spin cycle a "shushing" sound can be heard once every 2 - 3 seconds. It has spun once since failing after I unplugged the power for a short while and then plugged it back in.
5/8/2010
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
does it drain the water?
Yes it does.
ok when this is in agitate can you lift the lid and see if the agitator is moving?

The rest of the wash cycle is normal so yes it does agitate although I haven't actually lifted the lid to watch it do that. The machine stops when I lift the lid during what should be the spin cycle.

can you try that and see if its actually agitating? I want to see if its the clutch or the coupling. thanks Bryan

I'll have to get back to you on that as I am not at home at the moment. I'll see if I can get my son to check it out as it will be quite a while before I get there.

no problem, I'll watch for your reply, thanks Bryan

Hi Bryan,

My son has just confirmed that the agitator is moving during the wash cycle.

ok then its the clutch thats slipping , heres a diagram of the clutch assembly, its # XXXXX

tip the machine back and remove the bolts to pull the transmission down to get at it, you also need to remove the agitator there a bolt thats connected to the transmission shaft, you can order the clutch @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=17 and it comes with instructions, thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Thanks Bryan. Your diagnosis seems logical and I fully expect it to work. I have ordered the part but don't expect to get it for several days. I'll let you know if it doesn't fix it, naturally.

if you run into problems just reply back , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician