Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE French Door with front digital display ice and

I have a GE French Door with front digital display ice and water. I've been having problems with burnt out defroster heating element for which there are two elements. It appeared that only one element was being used via only one side being plugged in. So I plugged in the other side with it's coiling still intact. When I did and attempted to run the defrost, double zeros began blinking and scrolling across the digital display. Now I can't reset the refrigerator. Even after turning it off for more than 10 seconds. Any idea what this display means and how I can reset?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the problem is the mother board is bad, Main Control Board WR55X10942 - Click Image to Closeyou can order this @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=152 heres the diagram of its location, its part # XXXXX on this diagram, does the heater have the jumper on one side and the two wires plug into the other side?(right side of the heater) if so the heater is hooked up correctly now. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, I understand that the motherboard is an issue with models of this type. However, the heater only had two wires. Each one was plugged in on the opposite end of a heating coil. Therer are two heating coils on the defroster. It appeared that only one coil could be plugged in at a time. The one that had been plugged in was burnt out(broken coil). So I plugged in the other coil that appeared unused and intact.

Is there anyway to reset the blink and scrolling zeros?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the only way to reset the blinking and scrolling zero's is replace the board, you will also need to install the new redesigned heater for this. Defrost Heating Element - Click Image to Closethey have gone to a dual one piece heater, ypou can also get this @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4 if you want to repair this correctely, it comes with instructions, hope this helps thanks, Bryan