Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

Can you help on changing an igniter on a GE gas oven model#

Can you help on changing an igniter on a GE gas oven model# XXXXX?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
open the oven door, remove the racks, remove the two screws at the back of the bottom inside panel, raise from rear and take out, remove the burner cover, remove the two screws holding the igniter to the burner tube and swap out ,, Glad i could help you with your problem today so please hit the accept button for me before you leave so i may be paid ,, Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have removed bottom inside panel, but their is another panel. Is this the bruner cover? How do i remove? Their is a bar that the igniter is attached that is in the way.

that is the burner cover and you have to remove the screws and set it out and the screws that holds the igniter screws into the side of the burner tube to remove it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

okay. I have the burner panel off. The igniter screws are at an angle and unable to get to the screws with a screw driver. Also the wires to the igniter go straight down into bottom of oven. Do i have to cut the wires and connect or do i have to take something else off to get to the end of the wires?

get the new igniter before doing anything ,, some comes with wire nuts and you cut the wires and some dont ,, you will need a 1/4 ratchet and a 5/16 socket to remove it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay. I dont have a rachet that small so ill have to go to my hardware store. I think i can finish the job now. Thanks for your help.
you are very welcome