Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a 12 year old Amana 27cf side by side that was in my

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Amana 27cf side by side that was in my house when I bought it. Refrigerator seems to be working okay, and frozen vegetables are still frozen, but ice cream turns to soup. I think it might be the auto defroster, but is it worth fixing or is it time for an upgrade?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 7 years ago.
This is worth fixing. This refrigerator is allot more reliable then the newer ones.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you give me a ball park idea of what repairs might cost? I live in northern Virginia / Washington DC area and labor rates are very high! I'm also a little concerned about availability of parts... could this take weeks?
They still make every part for this. It will cost about 200 dollars.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I'd like more explanation of what could be wrong..
I'd like more explanation of what could be wrong.
You either have a bad defrost heater or a bad evap fan. When you open up the freezer door you should hear a fan running.