Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a 10 year old Kenmore (made by Amana) bottom freezer

Customer Question
Refrigerator. For a least a...
I have a 10 year old Kenmore (made by Amana) bottom freezer Refrigerator. For a least a few years I have had to have it set at nearly the coldest setting to maintain desired temperature 0 F in the freezer and 35 F in the fridge. At one point I had a tech look at and he said (at the time a year or two ago) that it was fine.Through the years I have learned that this unit's temp control is in the freezer and that the control in the fridge is just a flow control for the cold air output. So to the new problem. Wed evening I noticed the ice cream was soft. I checked the temp and found it was 10 F... Checked again last eve and still the same. Cranked the freezer control from 6 to 7 the highest setting. It ran for hours and finally clicked off @ 7 F.... 10 AM this morning 10 F again it was running and stayed running until at least 2 pm when I left. Also I actually had to turn the the fridge portion warmer because of all the run time. So theories? and is it worth repairing.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
5/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

First off 0-15 degrees is well with in the manufactures specs.

And the unit runs by temperature NOT by time.

Good ice cream (with high sugar content) will not freeze solid in a residential box.

If you look in the grocery store the ice cream freezer is normally set at -30 to -40 degrees.

From what I see I agree with the servicer ""There is nothing wrong with the unit""

I am aware the unit runs by temperature my point was that at that point it was running for 4 straight hours at least unopened and never reached shut off temp.

Since I purchased the unit new ten years ago it has always been at or below 0 in the freezer and my ice cream has been rock hard enough that I need set it on the counter for ten minutes before I scoop it. Up until Wed that is. It now runs almost constantly to maintain 10 The performance has without question changed.

Every source I have ever seen on the subject including all 7 I just Googled said the freezer should be set at 0. At least 2 sources said "ice cream should be brick solid".
If my freezer goes to 15 my ice cream will be the consistancy of yogurt.

As I stated the tech that gave me the green light looked at it 2 years ago when it was was at 0 and my I cream was brick solid. I contacted him because I was concerned that I had to keep the setting so cold to maintain the refrigerator @ 35
and have you looked at the coil under the unit to make sure it is not covered in dust thus blocking air flow?
I clean it regularly. I just did it a couple months ago
and you are sure all the fans are running ok? the one in the freezer and the one under neith
Fan in the back is blowing strong as is in both freezer and refrigerator. Lots of air flow
ok if you are sure every thing is working correctly ,you might have a sealed refrigerant system issue.
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech