Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I am having trouble trying to light a GE gas water heater model

I am having trouble trying to light a GE gas water heater model no. GG50T06AVH00.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
did you run out of gas in this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you asking if the gas was turned on?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no I was wondering if the gas got shut off or if it just went out by itself
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the gas was on and igniter worked, flashing, but the pilot would not light.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
did this just go out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We were replacing an old water heater with this new one. We tried to light this one, but it won't light. The gas is flowing and the igniter is working, but the pilot will not light. We turned the gas knob to pilot, pushed the red button on the left all the way down and the pushed the igniter button. It still would not light.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We were replacing an old water heater with this new one. We tried to light this one, but it won't light. The gas is flowing and the igniter is working, but the pilot will not light. We turned the gas knob to pilot, pushed the red button on the left all the way down and the pushed the igniter button. It still would not light. Could the water heater be defective out of the box?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
if you hold the pilot button down for a long time and keep clicking the igniter and it doesn't light it could be defective, when you change these you end up with air in the gas lines and sometimes it take a long time holding the button down to get all the air out, mine took 1/2 hour once so i know, thats about all i can tell you, thanks Bryan