How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12157
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I wonder if you can help me. I have a six year old

Resolved Question:

Hello, I wonder if you can help me.

I have a six year old built-in fridge/freezer (KIM30443, FD8312) that has stopped cooling. The light is still working, the compressor seems to be trying to work but the back wall of the fridge compartment does not get any cooler. Having emptied the fridge I notice that part of the back internal wall, a patch about 3 inches in diameter, has buckled and deformed into the fridge space and the tempered glass shelf adjacent has a blotchy, smoky black appearance that doesn't wash off. Both look as if they had been subject to heat.

I have removed the fridge\freezer from its cupboard and there is nothing obviously wrong externally.

1. Do you recognise the problem from these symptoms?
2. Is it repairable at reasonable cost, or I am faced with replacing the whole unit?
3. Is this indicative of a systematic fault after only six years of use?


Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you tell us who makes the unit,? (what brand name)the model # XXXXX't comming up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the problem with repairing these yourself is the lack of diagrams,you probably have a blow defrost heater in this, Bosch doesn't put allot of info out so they get the service calls, heaters are a common failer on all refrigerators, you can expect to pay $100.00 for a service call plus parts and labor on this if you call for service.its probably worth fixing though. hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you