Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have a Maytag sov626zb. Temp. of freezer has risen but normal

Customer Question
Have a Maytag sov626zb. Temp. of...
Have a Maytag sov626zb.
Temp. of freezer has risen but normal noises coming from the compartment.

Cannot work out yet whether fridge has same problem
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
did this happen over night or did this happen over a long period of time? If you open the freezer door do you hear a fan running inside?
I noticed whilst on the phone yesterday evening that water was running down from the dispenser. After a short time I realised that food in the freezer was just starting to defrost although able to transfer most of it. Ice dispenser was full, so I emptied it as it was starting to melt. Bread was nearly defrosted as was bacon so think it must have been during the day. Certainly not over a long period or food would have perished and we are in and out of the freezer all the time.
ok perfect, so pull the refrigerator completely out and remove the lower back panel. There is a very large big black metal compressor, touch it. Is it hot, warm, or cold. Is the fan next to it running? Does it sound like the compressor is running?
Bear with me, I am having a devil of a time trying to get the screws undone, have every size spanner thingey but the one I want. Shame husband not home yet cos he could no doubt lay his hands on it straight away. will be with you shortly....i hope
ok just let me know.

Finally, I have removed panel and black compressor is neither hot nor warm and cannot hear the fan.............sorry to take so long, had to resort to good old pliers

that's ok, so if the comrpessor is cold then you have a problem with either the comrpessor itself or the plastic box with the wires attached to it on the side of the comrpessor is bad. Remove this plastic box (the overload relay) and shake it. If it rattles then you need to replace it, otherwise you have a bad compressor.

Can't see a plastic box but wires go into a silver cylinder thing about 4 inches long and is bolted into the centre strut, is this the relay?

Also, if I open the fridge door the fan immediately starts to run.

Compressor does not seem to make any noise, should I hear it whirring. Is it worth smacking it with a hammer? (my cure for most things lol)

Assuming a relay is something that we could replace and fit and a compressor is the pricey need to be fitted by an expert.

no that's not it, that's the capacitor. The part I'm talking about is literally attached to the side of the compressor, its the part that the wires plug into to power the compressor.

You can fit this yourself and be sure to unplug the unit when taking the part off.

Right, think this is something hubby needs to remove as it looks somewhat twiddley and i know i will probably break it but i get the jist.

so if it rattles then relay and if not then have to have compressor replaced by an expert.

bought this appliance in Sept 2006, if it turns out to be the compressor would you expect it to pack up within 4 years?

that is correct and if it was bought in 2006 you might still be under warranty, check your manual as a lot of units in 2006 had a 5 year warranty. I wouldn't say it's normal for a compressor to go out in 4 years but it does happen.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Thanks for your advice.
no problem and best of luck to you.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc