How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bob L Your Appl Pal Your Own Question
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 7548
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bob L Your Appl Pal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Jennaire model # JCD2389GES side by side refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a Jennaire model # XXXXX side by side refrigerator and the ice maker stopped making ice. Water thru the door is still working so the water supply is good. Is this an easy fix or do I need to call a repair service
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.

Hi Welcome to The Just Answer Appliance Category..My name is XXXXX XXXXX to working with you Today on your appliance repair problem..There are two components to the ice maker...The water inlet valve and the ice maker itself...# XXXXX is the water valve ..It is located in the back bottom of fridge...A common problem from what you are describing is a frozen fill tube...That is the tub which water fills the ice maker at part #14 ..You would need to check and see if the fill tube is frozen with ice....If so that is a sign of a bad water valve...The valve does not shut off and the water slowly trickles out of the valve freezing in the fill tube..If that checks ok then see if there is any ice in the ice maker itself...If so that is means the ice maker itself is bad and needs to be replaced..



Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.
If the fill tube is frozen over you can carefully use a hair dryer to melt the ice blockage..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It appears that there is a water line coming into the refrig at the bottom and then goes up to the filter at the top and then back down to the bottom (thru a second hose where it is then directed back up to the icemaker. Since I only see one hose going up in the ice maker direction, I am assuming this also feeds the water coming thru the door as well. Since the water thru the door is working, can I assume that the problem is not a frozen hose......thanks, Michael
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.

The water valve controls both the water to the dispenser and to the ice maker (two different solenoids)...Water to the dispenser has nothing to do with water to the ice maker...What you would need to do take a flashlight and look into the end of the fill hose from the inside of the freezer..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, after further observations, I see water dripping from the tube going up to the water dispenser. This leak is located on the left side next to the floor before the tube disappears under the refrig, and right before it disappears into the freezer door leading up to the dispenser. There appears to be some damage to this tube. The water only leaks when the water dispenser is used. I don't know if this is related, but can this section of tube be easily replaced from the floor up to the dispenser as there appears to be a joint connector in the tube before it disappears under the refrig). Thanks again
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.
Yes either way you can repair it...all you need to do is use the same connector that you see under the door..then splice them together...If the line is rotted out then you will need to replace with new line..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, in order to replace this tube, it looks like I will have to remove the seal that runs around the freezer door and take off the plastic door cover. Is this how it is done and also can you tell me where I might find the replacement for this tube? Thanks
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.
If the leak is under the fridge you would not have to remove the water line in the door...You can cut out the broken part and reconnect the two ends together with another connector...If you do not have enough waterline then you would need to get another short piece of line then connect the pieces with two connectors..(one at each end)...If you want to install it without piecing it together then yes you will have to remove the dispenser trim to access the line from the dispenser side...Then pull the line thru from the dispenser...The waterline runs up through the door inside a plastic tub which makes it easier to replace..You can purchase the line at any appliance parts store..OR order it online at this location
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I keep getting emails telling me to accept the answer when I already accepted it. Is there a problem with the system??
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.
In order to accept you would need to use the Accept option..the system shows that the accept option has been used...Once you accept it will show paid...Thanks Bob