John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Hi, I have a Norge GT19X8FV. I just connected the water supply

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Norge GT19X8FV. I just connected the water supply to the icemaker today.
I switched the lever to the "on" position. I heard minor motor type sound but no action, no water, no ice.... Any other switch or ?? I need to concider?
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Is the arm on the ice maker up or down, do you have a volt meter to check the water valve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Arm is down. In the "on" position. I probably have a voltage meter. I will look in my garage.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.2060635/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=5&ModelNum=gt19x8fv

Check the water valve O H M it out to see if the solenoid is ok .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I set me meter at 20k, and got a reading of .25
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
You will have to remove the ice maker front and check the on off switch , the problem is in the ice maker
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, it's removed from the freezed, i took the front trim cover off. not much to see underneath. what next? Do I desassemble further? there are 3 phillips screw heads.....
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
you should be able to see the on and off switch , you may have to take the three screws out
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
checked the back side of the switch, seems to make contact with no resistance. 0.0 ohm.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Check the connections that connect to the ice maker you should get 120 volts to the ice maker.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are 4 wires connecting the fridege to the icemaker. Red, white, green and tan. what 2 wires should i find 120volts across? I'm going to guess the red and white......
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Yes the red and white if you have 120 volts there , replace the ice maker.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was really hoping I would be able to fix this ice maker. is there no customer replaceable parts available for it?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Ice-Maker-In-Freezer-Appliance-Diagram

Take a look at this it will help you find the switches.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i found the switches. i am suspecting the motor does not work. i am attempting to jump the motor directly to 120 volt power to verify its operation
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Yes that will tell you if the motor is bad if it stars up then the switches have failed.