How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 17629
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Maytag side-by-side refrigerator and the water line

Resolved Question:

I have a Maytag side-by-side refrigerator and the water line to the water dispenser is brittle and breaking everywhere. At that back of the unit in the access area at the bottom, I see two water tubes going into a channel heading up - one that's supple and fine and the other one is the brittle water line heading to the dispenser. I need to find the other end of the brittle line so I looked at the icemaker and only found one line.

How can I replace the water line? Why are there two lines going up the back and where is the other end of it?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I am not seeing a filter in this model. Do you know if your model has a filter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Correct. There is no water filter.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Ok you will have one line that goes directly to the ice maker (I think you said this line is good) then one line will go inside the fridge to a holding tank reservoir then back out and across to the front and up inside the freezer door.

I came across this kind of thing all the time. You will need to go to home depot and buy some push fit joints like this:


You should also buy a few feet of replacement water line (take some with you for sizing) then simply cut out the bad line and use the joints to fit a replacement line. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 7 years ago.



How do I get access to the holding tank? The last I see of the brittle water line is where it goes up into a channel at the back of the unit at the top of the access area behind the removable cardboard cover. I can easily replace the section of water line at the bottom of the unit where it goes forward and then up to the dispenser, but it's the section of hose before that I can't replace. Why are there two lines going up into that channel?



Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Part 38 is a coil or water line located in the back of the fridge somewhere. You would normally have to remove a panel to get to it. Once you have found it pull some slack off and feed it out so that you have some good pipe to attach the new waterline to. Mike

Mike and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.



I couldn't find the panel to remove in the back of the fridge so I looked inside. The critical information is that the coil is accessed from the INSIDE of the fridge, behind the drawers.


Thanks for your help - I accept your anser and appreciate your help.