How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hink the condensation or defrosting water tube is blocked.

Resolved Question:

I hink the condensation or defrosting water tube is blocked. I have water leaking from inside the refrigerator top (under the freezer. I understand it runs from the freezer defroster to the bottom where there is a collection pan. How do I unclog it??
Thank you
Kenmore Top-Mount Refrigerator XXXXXXXXXXX Ser. # XXXXX 2/99
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you are correct you have a clogged defrost drain , you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and in the middle under the coils there is a defrost drain hole, (its probably covered in ice) the best and fastest way to clear this is pour really hot water on it and then sop it up when it cools, then repeat until the water drains freely, get lots of towels ready! thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
"remove back panel" Do you mean the "floor" of the freezer under the sliding tray with food on it? Or is there a removable panel on the rear wall?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

in the back of the freezer there is a panel part # XXXXX on this diagram

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It looks like the freezer will have to be shut down to take the panel off, it seems to be the whole back of the box. Or can this repair be done thru the round hole? I guess what I need to know is Should I call a repair guy?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well you need to shut the refrigerator off to do this, if you are not comfortable doing it a service call would be a good idea, whatever you do don't hit the coils behind the panel with anything (screw driver) you will ruin the refrigerator, if your handy you can do it, and yes you need to take the whole panel out, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Bryan for your help, a container to catch the water will have to do until I get a repairman. Do you need more than the deposit? Let me know or close it out.


Thanks again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no thats fine, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you