Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My samsung dv316lew electric dryer will start, run for awhile

Customer Question

My samsung dv316lew electric dryer will start, run for awhile and then power off. It comes back on a few minutes later and if i start it again, it will run for a few seconds and then power off again. If i wait awhile and restart it will run for a few minutes and power off. Whats causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the motor is overheating and causing this, the motor has an overload protector on it and if the motor gets to hot it will shut it down, when it cools a bit it will start again, you need to replace the motor, you can order this @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=DC31-00055A&productGroupId=0026&supplierId=401&brandId=1482&documentId=M0612208&keySuffi xId=NA&modelNumber=DV316LEW&keyId=0009&pageId=00003&productTypeId=0151200&searchModelNumber=DV316LEW&subCompDesc=Blower/heater/motor&brandDesc=SAMSUNG&modelDesc=SAMSUNG-LAUNDRY&blt=11 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would that cause the machine to completely power off and then back on once its cooled off? Is this common with dryer motors?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes it would and it is common for dryer motors when they are bad, if you listen closely you will hear a faint click, thats the overload reseting,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have rec the motor, upon opening up the dryer, i notice ALOT of lint buildup around the motor. Is it possible that cleaning the motor will resolve the problem or once it goes bad its bad?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well I'm not sure you can try it. let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
replaced the motor, re-assembled the dryer, did not make it through a load w/o the dryer doing what it was doing before. Any other suggestions??????
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

thats not good, let me see what else this has that can cause this, its unusual for this, possibly the relay on the board is burned up also I'm not sure,

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well this has a motor relay in it this may be causing the problem, 90% of the time its the motor but could be the relay, I hate to see you replace the control board and that not work also, the relay is on the control board, there isn't any other things that I know of that can cause this though, maybe its best to call a tech in,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have also heard that the thermocoupler (sp) may go bad in the heating element. Is that a possibility?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
if the termal fuse went the dryer wouldnt start back up until it was changed,